Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    idbefishing

Farmed Norwegian Salmon World’s Most Toxic Food

If you got about an hour to spare, or just watch it a little at a time. Crazy stuff !

2. Member
    We don't eat any farmed fish/shrimp, etc. Most are grown in contaminated water, antibiotics, etc.
    Wild caught is fine, in modest occasional quantities. Processed meats are really bad for you as well.
    It's really simple. Real food, mostly plant based, modest quantities. Stay active too, it's important.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    We don't eat any farmed fish/shrimp, etc. Most are grown in contaminated water, antibiotics, etc.
    Wild caught is fine, in modest occasional quantities. Processed meats are really bad for you as well.
    It's really simple. Real food, mostly plant based, modest quantities. Stay active too, it's important.
    Ive been shifting my diet. Ive had no sugar in two weeks, eating fish, chicken, greens, blueberries, fruits, ect.
    I have a question, I fish mountian lakes and often times catch trout. The waters are clear and look super clean. Are these fish good to eat? I dont like fish but with this diet Im making myself eat it.

4. Member
    You'd have to read up on the impairment of waters in your home state.
    Florida actually posts a list and you can read what species are mostly effected.
    Generally, the faster is grows, the safer it is to eat. Not always, but mostly.

I'd like to share with you that we don't eat ANYTHING that tastes bad to us.
    If it tastes bad, spit it out. There are too many choices which are healthy.
    And you'd live just fine on a vegan diet with added B12. We don't need meat.
    We are about 90% vegetarian, add eggs, some dairy and seafood.
    Activity & other factors play into overall health too. Smoking, drinking, etc.

FWIW, we don't diet. We just have a chosen lifestyle. Ice cream is my buddy.
    And I'll be the first to trash a slab of tiramisu - before hiking the mountain.

Fast food, fried foods, sticky sauces, sodas, etc. almost never happen here.
    Grocery shopping around the perimeter primarily, fresh real whole foods.
    Farmer's markets, making things at home, learning what's really healthy.
    Last edited by TampaJim; 11-12-2018 at 01:13 PM.

More power to you TJ. I gots to have my meat.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

6. Member
    Tampa Jim, I know you are on the right track and believe you are doing fine.
    Me, I'm 82, very active, and mostly capable. I love gravies, meat soups, and anything fattening although I have never weighed over 152# ever.
    I think I'll stay with what I love to eat.
    I never buy farm raised fish or shrimp, ever!

Agree that farm raised seafood is nasty stuff, disagree about the plant based diet being the only healthy option. What you can (and can not) tolerate food wise is dependent on many factors including, but not limited to, your ancestry, blood type and other factors. I developed some rather nasty psoriasis on my arms and hands back in 2008, along with weight gain, bloating, elevated blood pressure, marching toward diabetes, sore joints and rashes that would erupt without warning. Over the course of the last 10 years I've done the whole dermatologist thing ("Your psoriasis is hereditary, you'll be on medication for the rest of your life") ... nobody in my family ever had it ... allergy screenings, stress tests, I've had them all and have never gotten a concrete answer for any of it.

Back in late September after doing some reading - (All I'll say is google Mikhaila Peterson, you do the reading and form your own opinions. I don't give medical advice, I'm just sharing MY experience)

Anyhow, I abruptly (I literally mean immediately) stopped ALL sugars, carbs and plant based foods. For just under 2 months as of today I've eaten nothing but protein (mostly in the form of beef, pork, eggs and seafood) and lots and lots of water. No seasonings other than salt & pepper. No "cheat days", this isn't a diet, it's a change on how I look at food. I used to live to eat, now I eat to live. Food is not an event for me anymore, it's fuel for living. Nothing more, nothing less.

My main goal was to clear my skin and the results have been nothing short of amazing in that respect - no signs of psoriasis whatsoever. The bonus of it was the weight loss - again, very dramatic. My waist is down to 36" from 38", still going toward 34". No bloating, no red blotches, increased energy, no being hungry all day long, etc. All this in under 2 months. My blood pressure is down to the point I'm off my low dose maintenance med for it.

My opinion, and I've got a lot of company, is that the American diet is the cause of many of our current ills. We eat a mostly corn and grain based diet like cattle and we look like it. We're too diverse as a culture to have everyone stick to a "recommended" diet like that bullshit food triangle. Some cultures are genetically predisposed to a heavy vegetarian diet, some are the same with a heavy protein diet. One size DOES NOT fit all when it comes to eating. I don't think there's a conspiracy between the medical profession and the corn/grain growers or anything like that, I think perhaps the medical side of it is overwhelmed by the explosion of health issues in the last couple of decades and their approach is a medicinal one vs a diet change. I'll leave that argument for other people. I've found something that has given me more positive results in under 3 months than I ever had in the last 10 years. There's a lot of evidence that suggests that many cultures world wide that had historically low instances of heart disease, diabetes, etc. had significant increases in them when their diet was supplemented by a corn/grain heavy Western diet. Again, no conspiracy theory, just something to consider. Nothing sinister about it, corn and grain is a cheap easy way to feed many people, but it doesn't work for everyone.
    Last edited by bilgerat; 11-12-2018 at 05:05 PM.
    Ranting incoherently

We eat Costco Salmon, very check out....

9. Member
    Problem is that a huge percentage of fish is mislabeled. You can't really count on the Wild Caught designation because many times it is not. There was a recent article on CNBC I believe that said that something in the neighborhood of 60% of fish sold is improperly labeled. Fish does not have the same regulation as meat. It is a very big problem.

10. Member
    I bet everybody knew what tiramisu was.

11. Member
    There is one place I will order farm raised rainbow trout. Sunburst up in North Carolina actually raises them with water that comes from Lake Logan up in the mountains. The water is clean and I have fished up near there and the water quality is very good. You can look it up online and they ship it to you. When you order they will pull the fish right out and filet them and ship it. Excellent trout. Its not cheap but very good fish. They will even do it with Au Poivre etc.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    We eat Costco Salmon, very check out....
    The fresh Steelhead from Costco is awesome on the grill.

13. Member
    Very interesting and makes you sit down and think about what we are actually consuming in all the foods we eat and even what we drink with profits and quantity produced being a more important point than the safety of the people consuming the products.

As the worlds population continues to balloon stretching the worlds production capabilities food safety will become an even lower priority as feeding the population and preventing starvation will be even a bigger priority.

14. Member
    My neighbor hooked me up...I have about 20lbs of fresh caught Salmon in my freezer and we smoked another 10lbs or so...I also have a few Steelhead filets that I caught..

Food quality is going downhill in this country with the high amount of imports...We are importing vegetables and grains and paying farmers subsidies not to plow to keep prices up.....Makes no sense to me..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

15. Member
    I actually eat SPAM once a month or so. Love me a spamwich with mustard.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by v_fourmax View Post
    Very interesting and makes you sit down and think about what we are actually consuming in all the foods we eat and even what we drink with profits and quantity produced being a more important point than the safety of the people consuming the products.

As the worlds population continues to balloon stretching the worlds production capabilities food safety will become an even lower priority as feeding the population and preventing starvation will be even a bigger priority.
    It's the waste....I read someplace that Americans waste almost 50 percent of their food....If we could reel that in worldwide things would look alot better..We all like fresh food but with freeze drying getting better and better I think we will start seeing more and more long shelf life food...I think canning in households is making a comeback also..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

17. Member
    I remember when Atlantic salmon farming was hailed as the greatest thing. "Savior of the wild stocks". Then came all the improvements and changes to make it more cost effective and people also started seeing the pollution they cause. Not to mention the fact that some of these mutant hybrids escape and breed with the wild stock. Not so appealing anymore.

18. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Ive been shifting my diet. Ive had no sugar in two weeks, eating fish, chicken, greens, blueberries, fruits, ect.
    I have a question, I fish mountian lakes and often times catch trout. The waters are clear and look super clean. Are these fish good to eat? I dont like fish but with this diet Im making myself eat it.
    You dont eat fish are you a communist?

20. Member
    I like to eat bass eggs from large females. The bigger the bass the better the eggs.

catch them right off the bed - good eating

I watched the video over the summer. Never eating any farm raised fish again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast