Remove Trim Tabs? - 2015 Ranger RT 188

I recently purchased a 2015 RT188 with 115hp Mercury four stroke. It has the trim tabs. Should I remove them?

2. Member
    Why are you wanting to remove them? I have the same boat and it runs fine with them.

2023 Ranger RT188P
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 115
    Garmin 126SV (2), 93SV, LVS34
    Minn Kota Ultrex

I don't think it will benefit you enough to remove them... seen somebody on here that did it but can't remember who it was
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

4. Member
    The trim tabs were added to these boats to control/eliminate porpoising. Sooo....

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuhuna View Post
    I recently purchased a 2015 RT188 with 115hp Mercury four stroke. It has the trim tabs. Should I remove them?
    Only remove them if you like porpoising. There is a RT188 owner on this forum that did experiment with filing them down a bit to reduce the drag without triggering handling issues and I think he gained 1 mph.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

You will get mixed reviews on this subject. If you are willing to run a 6” jack plate then you will see some gains if thats what you are looking for. Otherwise this hull will handle very poorly. I do not like them so myself I would be removing them.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Member
    There is a RT188 owner on this forum that did experiment with filing them down a bit to reduce the drag without triggering handling issues and I think he gained 1 mph.
    Correctamundo. As far as a JP, expect 2mph, tops. Mod Vee hulls don't have a lifting surface. Spend your money on Electronics upgrades and Ultrex.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

8. Member
    Thanks guys. I was just curious. The tabs will be staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhuna View Post
    Thanks guys. I was just curious. The tabs will be staying.
    Smart move in my opinion. My 2013 RT188 came without the tabs installed. In 2014 I had the trailer at the Ranger factory for some adjustment to the trailer guides. They installed the tabs on the boat while it was at the factory. I ran the boat for several months without the tabs before they installed them. The boat handles better and runs better with the tabs on there. It is pretty easy to tell the difference.

You said you recently purchased your 2015..... You are not going to believe how much you are going to like fishing from this hull. They built them to fish and they are especially good in the stumps and shallows. It still puts a smile on my face sometimes in shallow water.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA