Lost tracks + screwy temp readings - Helix 7

Lost all my tracks, but my waypoints are still there. Assuming tracks stored in internal memory? Any idea what storage capacity is? Didn't seem like I had that much.

Also getting crazy temp readings my last 2 trips. Starts out ok then goes wild. Has been working fine over 1 year in current setup

My last sw update was probably this summer, haven't done latest

Helix 7 GPS/SI G2n

Tracks are stored in the memory with waypoints IF you SAVE them. Otherwise the current track is temporary and will have the beginning deleted to make room for added length.

Default for SAVED TRACKS is a faint light grey dotted line. Have you checked the waypoint library for any saved tracks? You may have to edit them so you can see them.

If you have SAVED TRACKS that were visible and did a software update, you have to re-edit them so they are more visible. They were set back to the Default light grey dotted line.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne. I'll look for any saved tracks. I've had tracks visible in red at all times since I installed the unit, went out yesterday and they're gone. I never saved them manually, but they were always there. I haven't done an update for a while, don't think is update related. I did turn on AC for the first time ever on my last trip. Had it on 30 mins and then shut it off. Could that delete tracks if necessary for space?

Any thoughts on inconsistent (200-300 deg) temp readings? Gave me a good reading on the ramp when I plugged it in. Never had a problem before last 2 trips.

If you have never SAVED CURRENT TRACK, you don't have any in the unit's waypoint library, it is not automatic.

Do not know if using memory for Auto Chart Live affects the Current Track. I always CLEAR CURRENT TRACK at the start of each day. I do that in case I want to use that data for Auto Chart LiveShare.

Are you sure that the 200-300 is degrees and not Course (t) in the Chart View? You get f for Temp in the sonar views and t for True in the Chart views.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I was getting some crazy temps from my 3 yr old compact transducer , When I switched over to the longer HD transducer the temps returned to normal ? I can't help but think the compact transducer has something wrong with it .
    I hate to think that I was getting 245 deg temp readings from my lower unit housing ?

6. Member
    Per Humminbird - what I've been watching was one loooong current track (apparently I edited to solid red line) and it was active ever since I installed the unit, continued over multiple trips and lakes!! I reached the storage capacity of 20,00 points per track. I should have gotten a pop-up to save current track but I guess I missed it.

FYI - Max storage is 50 tracks of 20,000 points. Frequency of location points can be edited if longer (but less accurate) tracks are needed.
    ACL memory is separate and doesn't affect tracks.

Wayne - temp readings were showing on sonar view with an f. Bird says to test with different transducer.
    Last edited by Too fat 2 fish; 11-13-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Too fat 2 fish View Post
    Per Humminbird - what I've been watching was one loooong current track (apparently I edited to solid red line) and it was active ever since I installed the unit, continued over multiple trips and lakes!! I reached the storage capacity of 20,00 points per track. I should have gotten a pop-up to save current track but I guess I missed it.

FYI - Max storage is 50 tracks of 20,000 points. Frequency of location points can be edited if longer (but less accurate) tracks are needed.

Wayne - temp readings were showing on sonar view with an f. Bird says to test with different transducer.
    You don't get overlay Temp when you have a view with Chart displayed. You get Course t (true)in place of Temp that sonar views have.
    It has nothing to do with the transducer, it's the VIEW.
    t
    can be anywhere between 1 and 360. North is 0 and 360 degrees. South is 180 degrees. It's that compass thing.
    If you are getting Temp in a 2D or Image view, your transducer is OK.
    If you want Temp displayed in a Chart view, you have to turn on the data boxes and have Temp selected for one of the boxes.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 11-13-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You don't get overlay Temp when you have a view with Chart displayed. You get Course t (true)in place of Temp that sonar views have.
    It has nothing to do with the transducer, it's the VIEW.
    t
    can be anywhere between 1 and 360. North is 0 and 360 degrees. South is 180 degrees. It's that compass thing.
    If you are getting Temp in a 2D or Image view, your transducer is OK.
    If you want Temp displayed in a Chart view, you have to turn on the data boxes and have Temp selected for one of the boxes.
    I do see temp in sonar and image views, just not accurate. Last trip I saw a range of 52 f- 387 f
    Last edited by Too fat 2 fish; 11-13-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Too fat 2 fish View Post
    I do see temp in sonar aand image views, just not accurate. Last trip I saw a range of 52 t - 387 t
    t is NOT temperature. f or c is.

The water is not boiling and no temp is displayed in this screen shot:

The temp is displayed in this screen shot:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Sorry, just a typo. I edited my post.

Temp in sonar and image views ranged from 52 f to 387 f