Thread: Food plot help

Food plot help

Thinking ahead to next season already. We are hunting a field that has some tree lines along some ditches. On one side of the field is a conservation area that is managed hunts only, most of the deer we see come out of the state ground, we just need to find a way to get them off the state ground more consistently. We are trying to find a way draw the deer out into our field. The problem is, this is farm country so there is corn and beans and winter wheat everywhere. Our field has some corn and beans in it, but it is flooded for duck hunting so that maybe limiting our success with it. What would you guys plant that the deer would prefer over corn and beans that could encourage them to come visit our field over the others? We are interested in planting trees for long term as well as annual or perennial type plants for short term success.

2. Member
    We've always done a concoction of winter wheat, winter rye, clover, turnips, and peas. I think the deer like the turnip tops the best of the bunch but they will eat it all. I've seen does stand there and agonize about walking way out into the middle of the plot to get to the turnips because they had already eaten all the ones closer to the edges nearer the tree line. Once they do decide to go out there and stand in the open and start munching they will stay for a long while.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    We've always done a concoction of winter wheat, winter rye, clover, turnips, and peas. I think the deer like the turnip tops the best of the bunch but they will eat it all. I've seen does stand there and agonize about walking way out into the middle of the plot to get to the turnips because they had already eaten all the ones closer to the edges nearer the tree line. Once they do decide to go out there and stand in the open and start munching they will stay for a long while.
    Do you mix the seeds to plant as one crop or plant each one separately?

4. Member
    We bought it already mixed and then added turnips ourselves. It also had oats in it, had forgotten that until now. A lot of feed stores will have a winter mix like that you can buy in 50lb bags and then you can add anything else you want that is not in there. They can also give you advise on how much to plant per acre, lime, fertilizer, etc. Most soil is going to need lime and fertilizer too or it won't do well.

5. Member
    I'm just a dumb Yank but from what I've read, persimmon trees would be a good choice for the long term. Short term goal would be to plant something they consider candy to draw them away from the standard crops and food plots. I've been told chicory is good for that but never tried it up here and it's often already in commercial blends so I defer to those who know and have experience in your climate. Some folks up here swear by sugar beets that don't sweeten until late Nov. just about the time when apples, corn, pumpkins, etc. are getting scarce

6. Member
    Go to Iowa whitetail forum look under dbltrees corner. Everything you ever want to know is there about food plots
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"