Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator

Replacement fender well material?

Redoing a tandem trailer and need to replace the carpeted fender wells. Did a quick search and maybe I didn't search the right term. Anyhow, other than plywood, what materials would you use and WHERE can you buy it. Each of mine are over 5' long being a tandem. TIA

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Are you looking for tandem axle fenders? I Googled Tandem Axle Boat Trailer Fender and found a lot of different fenders out there to be customized to your use. If I’m misunderstanding please let me know.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Lots of diffenent plastics out there or aluminum. Try this place.
    On line metals...They have a lot of plastic also

Search under Starboard, or cutting board material.

Call Mark Miller and Poly Fab Products. Just got him to cut some material for my fenders.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Call Mark Miller and Poly Fab Products. Just got him to cut some material for my fenders.
    I also bought king starboard from Mark when I redid the fenders on my Lund trailer. Forget the wood and carpet and go with the starboard material. I can't understand why trailer manufacturers use anything else.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    YES!!! Thank you. That is what I was looking for. Now what thickness does everyone typically get in this material? 1/4" or 1/2"?

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Now that I thought about it, I understand what you’re asking. I would thing the 1/4” would be sufficient...that’s what the manufacturers use they just cover it in carpet. I was going to suggest making a template out of large stiff construction paper then transfer it onto 1/4” plywood..treat it with waterproofing then cover it.

However, I can’t imagine a better material than starboard and lose the carpet. Makes a lot of sense!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Billy View Post
    YES!!! Thank you. That is what I was looking for. Now what thickness does everyone typically get in this material? 1/4" or 1/2"?
    When I spoke with Mark, he recommended the 1/2 inch, which is what I bought. As it turns out, I could have gone with the 1/4 inch and it would have worked just as well. The 1/2 inch worked OK for me. But, it does stick out a bit farther from the inside of the fender.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I used 1/2”. Either would prolly be fine. This stuff cuts a little weird but when finished up with a router it looks great.
    www.ncboatguy.com

11. Member
    I used 1/2”. Either would prolly be fine. This stuff cuts a little weird but when finished up with a router it looks great.
    Do you have a picture Crank? I'm currently restoring my MFI dual axle trailer.

12. Member
    Locally here $85.00 each Azek 4 foot by 8 foot 3/8 inch.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/AZEK-Tri...8096/202970147

I’ll try to get a pic posted...
    www.ncboatguy.com

14. Member
    The AZEK from Home Depot is easy to work with but get the 1/2 inch for more rigid application

15. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    I wish I had seen that about the AZEK. I wasn't too keen on getting the stuff in from Poly Fab just not knowing. Mark was out when I called. I went to Lowes and bout a sheet of marine grade plywood. Let it sit outside for a few days and then measured for fit before the final cutting.

Sorry for some reason I can’t post pics...? Never had an issue before. You can always PM your number and I’ll text you pics.
    www.ncboatguy.com

McMaster Carr has PVC sheet in various sizes and thickness. Click on plastic.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/pvc

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Im using Tinypic.com now since the board’s reboot the other day. Just upload it and copy/paste the 800 by 600 box. It’s working for now. Don’t know what changed but my old way won’t work at all!

19. Member
    i used the 3/4" plastic marine board on my Boat Mate trailer. It is smooth and if you recess the screws with a countersink on the boat side a little deeper than the surface it will not mar the boat when loading. Also make sure you use at least 1/4" screws with SS fiber-loc nuts on the tire side. If you ever blow a tire you will be glad you have it because it will prevent damage to your boat. I have had the 1/4" plywood come apart when tire exploded but was lucky no damage to my boat. The marine board is strong enough to prevent the tire from tearing up the wheel well and damage your boat. It takes a while to cut the board to fit but is well worth it in my case. One other benefit is no sand embeded in the carpet to scratch your hull and it cleans easily with pressure washer.