Anyone smoke ham?

I had a hog butchered a while back. The ham is cured. Looking for ideas on how to smoke it. I see all kinds of recipes online but they seem to all be for hams you get at the store.
    Any suggestions?

2. Member
    While I have never smoked a cured ham. I would think it should be quite easy. Is the ham a country ham (salt cured) or a city ham (sugar cured). If a country ham I would soak for a day or two changing water a few times. To get rid of some salt and re hydrate the meat. Sugar cured just go for it. I would use a moisture pan with apple juice and vinegar for both. Smoke at 235 degrees till heated through 165-170. The size of the ham will determine the heating time. I would also remove any hide/skin from the ham.

If I am full of crap. Someone will be along to correct me. Spark it up and have a good time.

3. Member

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

4. Member
    Amazing Ribs website is a great smoking/curing meats resource for first timers and vetran pit bosses alike.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

5. Member
    To be honest i am not sure how they cured it. I think salt cure but not 100%

6. Member
    They proabably used curing powder.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

7. Banned
    I seldom if ever see cured hams--other than country hams. They're usually fully cooked and shot full of water and preservatives. We can get fresh hams if specially ordered at the butcher, but I honestly have never cooked one.

We used to go into restaurants in the Western Kentucky, Middle and East Tennessee regions where they'd have salt cured, smoked country hams hanging on the wall. Believe me, it's an acquired taste, and almost an artistry of sorts to properly cure a Country Ham. Most of the country ham we see in grocery stores have had short cuts in process, and just aren't the same.

Good luck on your ham.