RT188 running a 4" jackplate

This is a question for RT188 owners running either a hydraulic or manual 4" jackplate. Have you notice any true performance gain by running a jackplate on this hull? By true performance I am talking about speed and handling.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

2. Member
    I ordered mine with the boat so don't know how performance is without it. I just figured there must be a good reason they put them on most boats and surely couldn't hurt, and the price seemed reasonable so what the hell.

3. Member
    i have owned two tritons, 2013 x18 and 2016 tx18 and now a 2015 r188, all with 115 pro xs and 21 pitch props. they are all the same hull as far as I know but I don't think the 2013 triton had the welded on trim tabs. the 2013 triton ran 51mph gps with myself, wife, daughter, grandson, full tank and cooler. I was told by a dealer that apparently I had a very strong motor. that was a 21 solas with the motor in the second hole. the 2016 triton with 21 pitch laser 2 in third hole ran 48 mph gps with me alone and 1/2 tank of gas. I have read that the trim tabs slow the newer ones down. the rt188 has a 21 pitch laser 2 as well but has a 4" setback with motor in the third hole and runs 49 gps with me alone and a full tank of gas. so my experience with the three boats is the handling seems about the same. only differences, the 2013 x18 at wot and full trim was a bit of a handful. the 2016 tx18 and rt188 are more stable wot and full trim. I do have a bit of porpoise in the rt188 that I never had in the tritons. speed wise, not a lot of difference.

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I want to get one for my Triton SP185 to attempt to get rid of the porpoising issue, I believe my motor is too low. With a 90 I may gain 1-3mph getting the motor at the right height. It runs at 42 now and if I could stay at the same speed when loaded with my partner and his gear that would make it worth it.

If you can afford it and your motor isnt at the perfect p2p then I would say it’s worth a try. If you’re only looking for speed, I doubt it will help more than 1-3mph.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    2017 RT188 DC with no jack plate and my 115 ProXS has the standard gear case so I am running a 20 LaserII. Best speeds with just me are obviously in the winter with just me in the boat. I don't think there is anything I can do to get to 51MPH without a JP. I've hit 50. whatever a few times. The hydraulic JP would be nice for idling over flats or those really rough days.

6. Member
    The CT has the 14.5" prop, so I'm with the previous remarks.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

7. Member
    I have the CT version as well running the tempest 21P that came on the engine. I was just interested if anyone had a true benefit or gain. I know that these are non pad hulls and not really built for true performance but they sure do ride good.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

8. Member
    IMO the true gains would be what I posted, the boat has a real shallow draft. I'd make sure you have a water pressure and temperature gage if you are going to install a hydraulic unit. I have the Mercury SC1000 tach in my boat without the jack plate so I can monitor the functions of the engine. She normally purrs along about 130 degrees under a load. There are times where I idle long periods of time. IMO that's where the jack plate would really come in handy. You could jack it up and put the idle on up there where the nose wouldn't move at all. On the flip side I've had the lower unit come out of the water when running real rough stuff. I don't think it'll help hole shot or top end much. The boat already has a blistering hole shot and it is what it is on top end without grinding off the tabs.

9. Member
    I run a vessel view mobile unit that I had on my previous engine. With this engine I just need to add the water pressure unit.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

10. Member
    I have the 4" manual... I don't think that I am getting any additional speed, but she sure does handle well. And I don't know if this is an effect of the setback, but she hops on plane really well/quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    This is a question for RT188 owners running either a hydraulic or manual 4" jackplate. Have you notice any true performance gain by running a jackplate on this hull? By true performance I am talking about speed and handling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'No Pain, No Palm; No Thorns, No Throne; No Gall, No Glory; No Cross, No Crown'

Ranger rt188 Camo/Mercury 115 Pro XS CT

I have run the same RT188 Hull with and without trim tabs and with and without a 4 inch manual setback plate all with the same motor and prop. I did not set out to do this, it just happened over about 4 years of dealing with various issues.
    Here are my observations:
    1) The trim tabs solved the porposing problem. The best I could do without the tabs was with the motor in third hole and no setback, I could trim out just over 1/2 on the gaugebefore it started porposing. I don’t know if the setback plate would have helped.
    2) The trim tabs took about 2 MPH off my top end. Even though I can trim full out and get more bow lift, the drag of the trim tabs is more than the bare Hull at lower trim.
    3) The setback plate improved my hole shot. The trim tabs made it better but adding the setback plate was additional improvement. My hole shot is great with the same 20 inch Laser II prop.
    4) I wish the setblack plate was a true jack plate so I could tweak the P2P measurement. I think I could gain a little more RPM and maybe get my 2 MPH back.
    BTW - I am running a 115 ProXS two stroke.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. Member
    Thanks for the input. With the CT gear case this boat holeshots in a hurry and settles down just as fast. Coming from another hull type and manufacture, it will take sometime to get used to this design and its handling. So far I am very pleased. The warrenty stated that the hull is not covered with a setback unit that was not factory installed.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Hornedfrog that is one slick set up! I love it!

Is that hat an Atlas manual 4” jackplate on your boat? Was it installed at the dealer or did you add it?

I would really like to get my p2p right and that jp seems the way to go.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Thanks for the input. With the CT gear case this boat holeshots in a hurry and settles down just as fast. Coming from another hull type and manufacture, it will take sometime to get used to this design and its handling. So far I am very pleased. The warrenty stated that the hull is not covered with a setback unit that was not factory installed.
    To be honest as easy as it is to install a jack plate myself i would get a 6” manual adjustable plate then if i ever had a hull issue that required warranty i would remove it and put the motor back on. They wont know any different and all these stipulations are a little much. If i want something within reason on a boat i paid for im going to install it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    To be honest as easy as it is to install a jack plate myself i would get a 6” manual adjustable plate then if i ever had a hull issue that required warranty i would remove it and put the motor back on. They wont know any different and all these stipulations are a little much. If i want something within reason on a boat i paid for im going to install it.
    No doubt and I agree. If I had a setup where I could do the work then I would but at the moment I do not have the equipment.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

No doubt and I agree. If I had a setup where I could do the work then I would but at the moment I do not have the equipment.
    I think the lifting ring for the 4 strokes is not cheap. If it was the same as the optis i would let you borrow mine. That a come along and a garage or shop is all you need. I did mine that way with the cross beam of a car hoist. Not bad at all.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

17. Member
    I am still new to this boat and going to hold off awhile before I make many changes.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link