Thread: Weed Guard help

Weed Guard help

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Onlin...Weedguard.html

I use this wire weed guard on the jigs that I fish around vegetation. They are 1 1/2 inches long, which is just a tad short when I use a 5/0 hook. Does anyone have an idea where I might find a wire weedguard like this only longer? I could make my own, but don't know where I could get the same twisted type cable.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    http://mustangwire.com/

Try here as they make wire products for the industry.

Edit: Just looked at their catalog and they make the ones you posted.

Allen
    Last edited by Munkin; 11-12-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Mike: I've used plastic coated leader wire on jigs that I only fish around rocks. And, they work great for that application. But, they aren't stiff enough at the length I need. The stand guard cable guard works fine on up to a 4/0 jig hook. But, it's just a tad short when using it on a 5/0 hook, which is what I want to use.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 11-12-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post

Allen
    Thanks for the link. Yep, they make the one I use. I should call them and see if they can make a longer version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Mike: I've used plastic coated leader wire on jigs that I only fish around rocks. And, they work great for that application. But, they aren't stiff enough at the length I need. The stand guard cable guard works fine on up to a 4/0 jig hook. But, it's just a tad short when using it on a 5/0 hook, which is what I want to use.

But I don't think what I linked to you is coated... And it is stranded wire. And snaps back to shape. Unless you tried this stuff, You may be missing out.

Since this stuff is rated at up to 150lb test, I doubt you even looked...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    But I don't think what I linked to you is coated... And it is stranded wire. And snaps back to shape. Unless you tried this stuff, You may be missing out.

Since this stuff is rated at up to 150lb test, I doubt you even looked...
    Yes, I did look. I’d like to examine the titianium close up in the variious diameters/pounds test to see how stiff it would be at the length I need. If the titanium is stiffer than the corresponding plastic coated multi strand wire, then it would work. I just hate buying in the dark and having to send it back, perhaps multiple times, if it’s not, what I need.

8. Member
    Jeff, maybe you could contact the company and get some samples so you can see it for yourself.

9. Member
    I use the 30lb stranded titanium wire for a swimbait rig. It’s very flexible and it can be tied in a knot. I doubt it would work for a weed guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post

Allen
    Update: I spoke with a guy at Mustang Wire today. He can make the weedguard I want in a longer version, but the minimum order is 10,000. I don't need that many! And, the cost for making me just 1000 is far to much to justify. And, he would not just sell me 50 feet of the twisted wire so that I could make my own. But, after doing some begging, he is sending me a couple feet of the twisted cable that these weedguards are made from so I can make my own. I'll just have to use it very sparingly.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Onlin...Weedguard.html

I use this wire weed guard on the jigs that I fish around vegetation. They are 1 1/2 inches long, which is just a tad short when I use a 5/0 hook. Does anyone have an idea where I might find a wire weedguard like this only longer? I could make my own, but don't know where I could get the same twisted type cable.
    You must have some really picky fish in Ohio.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    You must have some really picky fish in Ohio.
    I heard there are only 8 bass in the state so everyone has to take turns catching them.

Allen