Best Material for Insulating Storage Compartment Lids

I know there has been issues with dampness and water in storage compartments on many tin rigs. When I brought home my new RT188 last week the front storage compartments were all damp. I dried them with fans for a couple days and then filled them with equipment. The boat has been kept in my unheated garage since. Our coldest temps have been close to zero with windchill and we haven't been above mid 30's for several days.

This evening I pulled some 3700's out of the storage compartments to add my latest Mystery Tackle Box additions. The bottoms of the 3700's that were in contact with the carpet in the compartments were wet. I pulled all of the 3700's out and the carpet was very damp again. I'm guessing this is due to constantly opening the compartments with the cold temps in the garage and the warmer temps inside the storage compartments??

For now, I'm going to dry them out again and I guess I will have to leave the lids propped open a tad to allow air to circulate. I'll also add a container of Damprid to each compartment. Wal-Mart has them for $2.67.

I think if I insulated the bottom of the lids, this problem could be rectified. My question is, what would be the best material to use for insulating the underside of the lids? I am very fussy, so in addition to being functional, the finished job must look good as well.
    Last edited by madmurph; 11-12-2018 at 05:47 AM.

I'm guessing you never got it good dry to start with. Condensation occurs when warm humid air contacts something cold. Did you see moisture on the bare metal? Condensation would mean dampness on the exposed metal, not just in the carpet under boxes. Yes, once you get it truely dry, put a tub of DampRid in each compartment. That has worked for me. Use the refillable tubs and you can then just buy the crystals in bulk.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 11-12-2018 at 04:48 AM.

3. Member
    Some people have used the board type insulation at Home Depot green or foil backed board maybe 3/4 inches thick. It looked nice on the lids with the foil backing from what I seen on the pictures

4. Member
    IMG_0069.jpg

This is what I used on mine.
    Its floor tile for playgrounds from Walmart or home depot
    Use a 3M spray glue to bind it to the lids.
    I did mostly because of the summer heat on the lids.
    They came in 4 a pack on different colours

5. Banned
    Condensation is one of the negatives with a tin boat. Your best bet is to control the dampness when you are off of the water. Pick yourself up an air mover style fan. Looks like a turbo charger. The one I have has 3 speeds and a timer up to 3 hours as well. When you get off the water and store the boat open all the lids. Point the fan towards the front deck for 3 hour cycle the the back deck for 3. The fan air is very focused and works amazing. I have a glass ranger, even tho the lids are sealed if I put wet gear in the lockers or open them in the rain the moisture stays locked in. So I use this fan for a few hours and the good and dry.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I couldn’t agree with jtracc more! In Florida I deal with a LOT of humidity and obviously heat. When I’m done for the week I empty all of my compartments, open them all and then cover the boat. If I leave the compartments shut I will have condensation. Since I have to store my boat outside under a cover the damprid won’t work for me but I’d really like to find one of those fans that has the intermittent on/off feature.

To figueria; 1) nice fish! 2) did putting that rubber padding under your compartment lids do anything to muffle sound when you’re on the water?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

7. Member
    Thanks Casslaw was a good day.
    not sure about the sound but it help keep the livewell water culler.
    I don't see as much condensation on the lids to.
    only one I cant keep water/moisture of is the step compartment.
    BTW you can use a timer and plug the fan to it.
    I use on for my lawn you can program for different times and days

8. Member
    I did mine with quarter inch thick foam with an adhesive backing I bought from Mc Master - Carr. It has never came loose.

9. Member
    For those of you who leave it in your garage and just leave all the compartments open, is that enough to keep the moisture build up out? I did this with my last tin boat and never had a problem. I have a TX18 (the RT188's sister) being delivered in the next week or two so I'd like to know if I need to do anything more than just keeping the lids open in my garage. Thanks

After being on the water, my RT178 is stored in the garage with the lids open. Then a day or two later the cover goes on. No moisture build up that I can detect. I'm in SC with high humidity and the garage temps usually range from ~40 to ~85 degrees.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by figueira View Post

This is what I used on mine.
    Its floor tile for playgrounds from Walmart or home depot
    Use a 3M spray glue to bind it to the lids.
    I did mostly because of the summer heat on the lids.
    They came in 4 a pack on different colours
    Nice pair of melon headed Canadian largemouths! Good idea with the floor tiles.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Nice pair of melon headed Canadian largemouths! Good idea with the floor tiles.
    Thanks Tcesni.
    I think it also helps keeping the water on the well cooler.

"Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

14. Member
    I used plastic tiles. Two photos from my "technical room" where I keep my modules, first is before electronics:

And then with the toys mounted on top of the tiles.

A photo from the front compartment, midway in laying down the tiles.

The tiles have tiny "feet" under them so there is a lot of air now between the carpet and whatever I keep in the compartments. I store my boat outside, always with the hatches open under the boatcover. If I have been out on a rainy day I put a fan in under the boatcover to dry things out.

http://www.armacell.com/www/armacell/ACwwwAttach.nsf/ansFiles/APArmaflexSheetRollNANA.pdf/$FILE/APArmaflexSheetRollNANA.pdf
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    I used plastic tiles. Two photos from my "technical room" where I keep my modules, first is before electronics:

And then with the toys mounted on top of the tiles.

A photo from the front compartment, midway in laying down the tiles.

The tiles have tiny "feet" under them so there is a lot of air now between the carpet and whatever I keep in the compartments. I store my boat outside, always with the hatches open under the boatcover. If I have been out on a rainy day I put a fan in under the boatcover to dry things out.
    I like this. These are a cool idea. Very clean looking too.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

We have always had good luck with the large damp rid buckets under the cover. If you suspect moisture in the compartments just keep them propped open. Its amazing how much moisture the damp rid products will collect.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

18. Member
    Check out NOICO products