Cool Home Brew ICE Porta Paks...

I've built a few of these over the years - started with the small 7 amp batteries but moved up to the 12 amp with better run times, I don't think a Helix 10 Mega would last long on one though...LOL

This link is for Mike - a.k.a. CamoHunter ~ ENJOY bud! https://postimg.cc/gallery/2482bvrmu/

But I may as well post a few of them, sorry about the sizes being all over - some are old, some are last year's - and maybe I will have more later -- one never knows!

These all would fit in a 6 gallon bucket too. : )

I have been using LCD's on the ice since my Eagle Z-6000 , maybe the late 90's - I don't really recall...

My old LMS332c from 2006

No pics of my 787c2 - but I did use my 798ci SI in dual beam mode:

28" cat from about 43 FOW on 4lb Fireline:

688 ci HD DI in the works:

Hook7 with WST WBL:

I little CNC programming to cut down on the work:

Have fun, be safe!

RAS
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

2. Member
    Bob- remember the old Lowrances that started with a 120' outside ring. Which left most of the screen as being a huge waste in northeast Ohio. These were the old goldish color. Anyway I was one of the first in this area to carry out a FF of any type out on the ice. That first old Lowrance I used was a throw away I found in trash. Nobody wanted them back then. It had a non-designed fish alarm. Every time a fish appeared in the transducer cone. It sounded like it was slipping a gear. Used that for a few years. Then graduated to FL-8 Vexilar when I stumbled on to a fantastic deal used. Bait shop owner was selling for his friend.

As I got older I started to hate fishing on my knees. So instead of turning a five gallon bucket over and sitting on top. I started to use the bucket as the FF shuttle. Puts my rod tips and FF on the same eye level. When one of my 5 gallons springs a leak I save it for that purpose. I have a 6 gallon bucket with cushion seat that serves as fish holder and seat.

Once said I would never be on ice without my Vex. That was until a bud from Wisconsin how he set up a Humminbird with the old Quadrabeam transducer. Fished with that set up until I went to Garmin I got now. I tried milk crates as a shuttle base too. But went back to bucket PDQ.

Some of my recent projects. Uglier than all get out I know. But functional as it gets. By the way when I first started to use the old Lowrance on the ice. You would not have believed the good natured ribbing I got from friends and strangers on the ice. The jokes really stopped fast when I found fish near them. Didn't happen always but enough that they wanted to learn how I was using.

Now the only ribbing I get is from flasher owners. Who seem to always inform me how much better a flasher is than what I am using. The smarter ones amble over to watch the Panoptix do its thing. Biggest thing to me right now is the LiFe Po 4 batteries. With TWO batteries 1 a 20AH the other a 10AH the whole rig weighs @ 12 pounds.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

I cannot wait to get the Panoptix for the ice! But may have to wait till next year since I put a offer in on a home yesterday lol

When it comes to ice I too try and customize whatever equipment I can to make life on the ice easier to cater to me. Everything from the qaud to the rods and tackle gets a custom touch.

4. Member
    Fish Boy- no doubt panoptix is expensive. But you can help control initial investment. Although the LiveScope Panoptix is the new kid on the block. The first generation Panoptix is a helluva tool in its own right. A Echomap chirp 73 and a PS 22 panoptix. Can be had for under a grand. If bought used.

To me ( although truthfully I would love to have it ) the newer more expensive Livescope just isn't worth it. No doubt it is a prettier picture. But as far as finding fish on the ice.
    I will keep what I have. I use a 9 inch screen on my ice setup. Allowance for 71 year old eyes.
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

That grand is gonna be going towards my man cave and toy shed this coming spring. I'll survive for another season without it I'm sure haha

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hays47 View Post
    Bob- remember the old Lowrances that started with a 120' outside ring. Which left most of the screen as being a huge waste in northeast Ohio. These were the old goldish color. Anyway I was one of the first in this area to carry out a FF of any type out on the ice. That first old Lowrance I used was a throw away I found in trash. Nobody wanted them back then. It had a non-designed fish alarm. Every time a fish appeared in the transducer cone. It sounded like it was slipping a gear. Used that for a few years. Then graduated to FL-8 Vexilar when I stumbled on to a fantastic deal used. Bait shop owner was selling for his friend.

As I got older I started to hate fishing on my knees. So instead of turning a five gallon bucket over and sitting on top. I started to use the bucket as the FF shuttle. Puts my rod tips and FF on the same eye level. When one of my 5 gallons springs a leak I save it for that purpose. I have a 6 gallon bucket with cushion seat that serves as fish holder and seat.

Once said I would never be on ice without my Vex. That was until a bud from Wisconsin how he set up a Humminbird with the old Quadrabeam transducer. Fished with that set up until I went to Garmin I got now. I tried milk crates as a shuttle base too. But went back to bucket PDQ.

Some of my recent projects. Uglier than all get out I know. But functional as it gets. By the way when I first started to use the old Lowrance on the ice. You would not have believed the good natured ribbing I got from friends and strangers on the ice. The jokes really stopped fast when I found fish near them. Didn't happen always but enough that they wanted to learn how I was using.

Now the only ribbing I get is from flasher owners. Who seem to always inform me how much better a flasher is than what I am using. The smarter ones amble over to watch the Panoptix do its thing. Biggest thing to me right now is the LiFe Po 4 batteries. With TWO batteries 1 a 20AH the other a 10AH the whole rig weighs @ 12 pounds.

Yeah, I hear the flasher blah blah blah EVERY season, and it's past OLD - they must not have an IQ high enough to figure out what they're seeing...LOL!

(oops did I say that?)

Nice stuff Bill, did you pedal the Helix 7 off already?

I'm still undecided on what I am going to end up with - but I do a lot of perch jerkin' in 40-60FOW, so I am thinking it should be a Chirp transceiver - just not sure about 'spare funds" since my bonuses really stink now!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

7. Member
    Bob - my original intent was to experiment with the Humminbird and then sell. In fact have had several chances to sell. Since I got the bright idea of pulling the Lakemaster contour elite chip from the boats Helix 10. I just can't do it. The fish search in the chip. Has revealed a few honey holes. Had quite a few bombs too but good ice fishing spot are priceless. Not all the spots that the program suggests are great. But enough are to make the purchase worthwhile.

So the plan is to tote both along this year. Use the mapping on the Helix and then the Garmin Panoptix to pin them down.

A flasher story for your amusement. Got the Helix set up together last year . It was too late for ice fishing. Remember the shortage of the chirp ducers ? Any way go down to the local docks with Helix in tow. Set up and was catching a few but all small. 3-5 inch crappie was the mainstay. Was there maybe 45 minutes playing with my new toy. When Mr Vexilar himself walks up and tells me why I screwed up. I politely tell him I used to be a huge Vex fan myself.

He would not give up. I finally tired of him and went for the jugular. Switched over to the map screen. He replied he uses his cell phone for gps. So I went to fish search. Asked him what he liked to fish for. After he answers I plug in info. Show him results and ask " your phone do that ? " His Vex flag dips to half staff. As I go back to split screen graph on one side flasher on the other. I catch a whopper 3 inch crappie. He was watching screen like I was.

Suddenly all the bottom separation , and overall Vex greatness vanished and now he wanted to learn. Though fish was far from impressive. He was smart enough to see. If seeing small fish on screen like that. Keeper sizes would show even better. He left saying he was off to do some research on the net.

I can't be too hard on them flasher fellas though. I was just as hard headed about my Vex as anyone. That trip to Wisconsin fishing for jumbo perch. Knocked the scales off my eyes. Like they say seeing is believing.

8. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar

USA

Quote Originally Posted by hays47 View Post
    Bob - my original intent was to experiment with the Humminbird and then sell. In fact have had several chances to sell. Since I got the bright idea of pulling the Lakemaster contour elite chip from the boats Helix 10. I just can't do it. The fish search in the chip. Has revealed a few honey holes. Had quite a few bombs too but good ice fishing spot are priceless. Not all the spots that the program suggests are great. But enough are to make the purchase worthwhile.

So the plan is to tote both along this year. Use the mapping on the Helix and then the Garmin Panoptix to pin them down.

A flasher story for your amusement. Got the Helix set up together last year . It was too late for ice fishing. Remember the shortage of the chirp ducers ? Any way go down to the local docks with Helix in tow. Set up and was catching a few but all small. 3-5 inch crappie was the mainstay. Was there maybe 45 minutes playing with my new toy. When Mr Vexilar himself walks up and tells me why I screwed up. I politely tell him I used to be a huge Vex fan myself.

He would not give up. I finally tired of him and went for the jugular. Switched over to the map screen. He replied he uses his cell phone for gps. So I went to fish search. Asked him what he liked to fish for. After he answers I plug in info. Show him results and ask " your phone do that ? " His Vex flag dips to half staff. As I go back to split screen graph on one side flasher on the other. I catch a whopper 3 inch crappie. He was watching screen like I was.

Suddenly all the bottom separation , and overall Vex greatness vanished and now he wanted to learn. Though fish was far from impressive. He was smart enough to see. If seeing small fish on screen like that. Keeper sizes would show even better. He left saying he was off to do some research on the net.

I can't be too hard on them flasher fellas though. I was just as hard headed about my Vex as anyone. That trip to Wisconsin fishing for jumbo perch. Knocked the scales off my eyes. Like they say seeing is believing.

Sounds about right Bill~!

Often I will ask how long it takes to get a GPS fix on a Vex, but that's usually when I am in a similar scenario too.

Hopefully I can find a smaller G2 for BF to replace the 688DI I have that I bought for parts and sold the other two.

Be safe out there!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI