Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Telephone numbers

It seems the farther down the road we go simple tasks become much more difficult.

I needed to call a friend so I grabbed the new telephone book. That sorry piece of crap has 0 telephone numbers in it for people. It only lists business telephone numbers. So that's useless.

A few years back you used to be able to go to people.yahoo.com and look them up just like a phone book. That doesn't work anymore.

I tried Googling the guy. I got 3 dozen advertisements where I could order a criminal background check on him but not the slightest mention of his telephone number.

Hell, I can drive over to his house in about 3 minutes.

I'm even old enough to remember dialing 0 and getting one of the ladies down at the phone switch and them hooking you up. Back when if you knew the number you could dial them up with 5 digits.

I understand phone books are out dated, but geesh, when you want to call a friend across town and you don't know their phone number how do you go about getting it these days?

2. Member
    I dunno. Used to have 411.com but now it's pay-to-play or you have to sign up at least. Don't know if there's actually a charge.

3. Member
    Not sure they even do phone books here anymore.
    Praying for a Cure

4. Member
    whitepages.com

I just looked up my father in law and his LAN line and address came up just fine.

5. Member
    If you don't have his phone number, is he really a friend?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    whitepages.com

I just looked up my father in law and his LAN line and address came up just fine.
    Do you have a subscription or something. I tried it and it wants $4.99 to give me a report

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Point.

Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post

I understand phone books are out dated, but geesh, when you want to call a friend across town and you don't know their phone number how do you go about getting it these days?

Post about the issue on BBC.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

9. Member
    Support the economy, drive over in a new one ton dually truck and ask them what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Support the economy, drive over in a new one ton dually truck and ask them what it is.

Then we would get a rant about the conditions of the roads or the cost of gas.....

That's what I was thinking.

Who uses a phone book these days

13. Banned
    I was thinking the same thing. Lol

All the phone books go straight from the front porch, where they deliver them, to the recycle bin. Useless as balls on a bishop.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Send your 3 mile away friend an email and ask him what their phone number is. Or, call him on his cell phone and ask or just ask him to call you on his landline, so you can receive it and save it to your cell phone's directory of contacts. Where there's a will, there's a way!

I finally got my wife to at least consider dropping our landline. I have not gotten her to load her various connections phone numbers into her cell phone directory of contacts, or use that. I loaded our kids' phone numbers into her cell phone, but she doesn't use it. Why yes, she's older than me.

16. Member
    Real world problem, have a sister-in-law in the hospital probable terminal illness. Can find one of her son’s in Rhode Island address and details including confirmation of land lines and cell phones. Won’t give land line details without payment. WTF Whitepages.com was a free service but no longer apparently.

17. Member
    The person who has the phone number for every friend he has doesn’t have many friends. I doubt I have a good phone number for 50% of the people I call friends. That was what the phone book was supposed to be for.

The person who has the phone number for every friend he has doesn’t have many friends. I doubt I have a good phone number for 50% of the people I call friends. That was what the phone book was supposed to be for.
    Ok...

I doubt that.

20. Banned
    Wtfe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast