Question 2010/2011 SHO Knock

I’m going to get my engine looked at this week, this weekend it’s started knocking. I was driving and my low oil light came on and my alarm came on. I shut the engine down, restarted it and it had a knock. Got towed in. If it is a rod or bearing what is the cost of a power head with labor? I had one mechanic tell me I was lookin at 12-14 grand, is this in the ballpark or high? Engine has also had the update
    John 16:33
    2016 Tracker Pro Team 195
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke

2. Member

3. Member
    Ouch...that hurts, thank you for the info yam911

4. bullyfish
    Go see a law firm and file a lawsuit against Yamaha for turning out all these defective motors l don’t see how they have got by with this happening all the time with out somebody opening a case action lawsuits against them

5. bullyfish
    Yamaha used to be known as a reliable motors all these new motors are over engineered junk give me the old VMax 200 with carbs and let it eat

6. Member
    ox 66

7. Member
    Any updates on your motor situation, have opportunity to buy 1 of these used with no history. Might be better to stay away looking at looking at a number of posts like yours. Hope all goes well for you and Yamaha comes to the table.

8. Member
    Metal in oil filter, believe it spun a bearing. I am going to trade it in like this. Lost oil pressure on my last run after 4500 RPM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Any updates on your motor situation, have opportunity to buy 1 of these used with no history. Might be better to stay away looking at looking at a number of posts like yours. Hope all goes well for you and Yamaha comes to the table.
    The vast majority of people have no issues. I personally had one of the first SHO's made and it ran like a top for me for 7 years, then I bought my current boat with another SHO. Just make sure the TSB were all done and otherwise the motor checks out. The few people that I know that have had an issue with the SHO went back to it - performance is awesome. 9 years for me with an SHO and all I've done is routine maintenance and turn the key.

Regarding block pricing above - had you gone that route you could just get a short block and cut that cost considerably.
    Last edited by Meleagris1; 12-01-2018 at 05:03 AM.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

10. Member
    Thanks for your input !
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    The vast majority of people have no issues. I personally had one of the first SHO's made and it ran like a top for me for 7 years, then I bought my current boat with another SHO. Just make sure the TSB were all done and otherwise the motor checks out. The few people that I know that have had an issue with the SHO went back to it - performance is awesome. 9 years for me with an SHO and all I've done is routine maintenance and turn the key.

Regarding block pricing above - had you gone that route you could just get a short block and cut that cost considerably.

11. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Hydro-Tec has been rebuilding and replacing cranks ect.....

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post

Yamaha no longer sells VF SHO short blocks only. Long block or nada.