Thread: spybait fishing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I tried the 90 on a baitcaster with 10# fluoro. I counted down to 10 ( by counting 1---1000 2--10000 and so on. seems to go about 11-12 ' ended up finding them suspended in 7- counted to 5 slow retrieve took a while but finally got a strike a nd a dink. I made a real long cast did the same count seemed to work better.I never got a hard hit just seemed to load up however the water temp was 34-37.ended with 4 keepers over 15'. I think a spinning is really better than a bc the retrieve speed is slower and the cast is farther. going again weds bought a smaller spybait going to give it a shot but gonna be hard to put that Jerk bait down. love to fish it

2. Member
    Further the cast the better but most spinning reels have a faster gear ratio than baitcSting.
    Nitro z21

Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Further the cast the better but most spinning reels have a faster gear ratio than baitcSting.
    Spinning reels may take up more line per handle crank than a baitcaster with a higher gear ratio, but I think the highest ratio I've seen on a spinning reel is 7:1, while I've seen some baitcasters north of 10:1. That said, smaller handles and spools on casting reels, and to be perfectly honest, lots of variability between reels of the same type as well. The line pick up per handle crank is the big thing to watch even between reels of the same type and similar size.

To your point as well: Anything I can cast with a fishing rod, I can cast further with a spinning reel (of appropriate size) than a baitcaster since there's no chance of backlashing a spinning reel. That's not to say that I can cast it as accurately, comfortably, quickly, or with as much control...but if distance is all that matters, I think this is probably true of just about anyone.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ray View Post
    The 80 falls much like a Senko...horizontal with a slight shimmy. I have several 90's and have never tied one on. I will check mine to see how they fall.
    That sounds like what I was expecting and hoping for. I'm wondering if 12-14 lb test Copolymer line would make enough difference to make the 90 useful. I could try that, IF I can get in the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Wait...you sent three free baits back?? You completely lost me there! I think the closest thing I throw to a spybait is the Rapala Twitching Mullet and it’s very blah underwater compared to a jerkbait but it has caught some nice fish for me when I can slow myself down enough to work it how the fish want that day.

Yep, sent them to the USA HQ in Bend, OR, along with the Duo Realis utility box that they only barely fit into if you took time to carefully fold the hooks just right, etc. I knew I wouldn't feel right using them, and wouldn't likely use them anyway. I'm really shocked that they don't fall flat like the 80's, and don't understand why they would make them do anything different.

Seems to me like TW has a lot of them, and you can get a decent discount on them right now!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    That sounds like what I was expecting and hoping for. I'm wondering if 12-14 lb test Copolymer line would make enough difference to make the 90 useful. I could try that, IF I can get in the mood.
    Anything over 10lb is completely useless for spinbaits.

Anyone tried spinbaits on nanofil

Quote Originally Posted by eldridgegolf View Post
    I have not. I usually fish mine on 8-10lb Berkley Crystal braid with a 6-10lb flouro leader.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by eldridgegolf View Post
    Funny you asked that. I just started to throw my spy baits on 17lb nanofil. Action seems to be just fine but I've not caught any fish with them. Hadn't had great luck with spybaits at all yet, but I'm still trying.

10. Member
    I didn’t have much confidence in Spybaits until one day i got into some schooling white bass, these WB had some really nice smallies mixed in with them. As mentioned a slow retrieve is mandatory.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Question, is the Duo Realis 90 “the” bait to learn this technique with? Locally I can only get the lucky craft pointer and I would really like to try this technique on the schoolies that are giving me lots of fun chunks right now.

I have a Concept A thats 5.3:1 so that will help me since I always work too fast for this type of technique. After reading this and spybaitfishing.com I really want to try this!
    The 90 is weighted differently. They actually had two versions. the most recent one you cast out and let it sink on semi slack (like a bow in the line with a little tension). It will fall and shimmy. It is different than the 80 and 80gfix. The 80 models is standard and better to learn with for sure.

12. Member
    I threw the 90 on a couple different outings and just came back with a lone bluegill on a bluff end. Not the awesome bait I was hoping for..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12