Thread: I have dilemma

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Here in KY (maybe just my county I am not sure) you cannot build within 20 feet of a gas transmission line (Existing structures excluded). Gas transmission lines do not need to be 30" below ground. We had my fire department utilities surveyed for a training tower build and part of the line was just 6" below ground. Concrete cannot be poured over a line or within 20 feet of the line but asphalt can(law passed somewhere in mid 2000 years). They actually made a contractor who built a community tear all of the concrete up in the community and he paid a huge fine for a house that was 15 feet from the line. I think it is actually still sitting empty. Problem is ground does expand and contract with temperature, erosion, moisture and etc. Restricting this could cause issues with the line with possible micro-fractures. If a transmission line is slightly damage under ground you may not know it. You would not smell it because mercaptan (chemical added to give it the rotten egg smell) is not added to gas during transmission.

But there is an app you can get on your phone that will show all pipelines in your area. I used to have it on my phone for FD purposes but never put it back on my new phone.
    "No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden of another" Charles Dickens

"Just because I do not agree with you does not mean I hate you or that I do not respect your opinion. We need to relearn that in our society."

2004 Ranger 521DVX
    2004 Yamaha Vmax HPDI 250

2. Member
    He could just be testing you

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234