Guntersville aquatic grasses

Just curious. I made several trips to the lake 5 to 10 years ago and found that the grasses were always thick. Even when locals were saying that the grass was slowly disappearing and spraying was continuously happening. When we would arrive I would find it the same as the year before. In past 5 yrs since my last visit have there been any significant changes in the vegetation quantity?

I am sure back then we were hearing the locals trying to ward off potential visitors because of the BASS tour hitting the lake for the classic and causing a significant uptick in the volume of activity. I am also sure that I will also be a victim of this same factor just by asking this. I just hope that I can get a few truthful answers.

I know this is the internet and I can believe everything I read.....
    Jeff, and Rheba Johnson
    AND COOPER
    2009 BEE LINE 294 by Phoenix
    2009 150 MERC OPTIMAX

2. Member
    Most of the grass growth on any of the Tennessee River impoundments is determined greatly by rainfall and corresponding current flow. Lots of current flow keeps the grass from getting established, less flow allows the grass to flourish. When we have a lot of rainfall upstream, the water must be moved through and out, hence, not as much grass. We have had above average rainfall this year, thus, less grass. The only spraying that is done is private owners around docks. TVA, nor Alabama wildlife services, doesn't have the financial resources to do much damage to the grass.

3. Member
    I am no local but have been fishing there for years,and there is no where near the amount of grass and mats as there was years ago.
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

4. Member
    Eel grass is choking out the more preferable hydrilla and milfoil in many areas.

5. Member
    Nothing like it should be. Has been pretty consistent the last 5-10 years which is a bad thing.

Definitely not as many mats but allot of grass not making it to top as well. The eel grass is all over now, it's even all over Wheeler now.
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

7. Member
    I prefer fishing the eel grass but yes that stuff is getting to be every where