2019 Evinrude 250 G2 Hotfoot

I am about to have one of these to repower my tr 21 Triton. I am going to be using just analog gauges and the normal black control box. I was wondering do you have to have the premium control box (silver) to be able to use the hotfoot? I dont want to switch between hand control and pedal, I just want to use hand control to put it in gear and footpedal for the throttle.

2. Member
    No, you do not need the premium. In your scenario the dealer should be able to get set it up for you how you want it and it should work you just wont be able to change any settings yourself. You should still be able to self winterize though they made a change that made that possible with the standard controller and no digital gauge a few months after it came out.

If you have a Lowrance Carbon or Live then if it is networked with the engine then you will still be able to change all the settings.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I know you have your mind made up, but still feel compelled to advise you to think twice about switching between hand and foot throttle. I’ve used nothing but hotfoot for 25 years, but have found that the option to quickly switch to hand throttle is one of my favorite features on my G2. I quickly found—very quickly—that the G2 hotfoot is incredibly sensitive, so much so that anything more than a 1-foot chop makes smooth throttle control very difficult. But the hand throttle function is 500% more steady in even moderately rough water, and almost indispensable in the really rough stuff (like Lake Erie on a warm summer day). Plus the hand throttle is extremely convenient when in long-idle situations, or any situation in which you would be cruising at the same speed for long stretches. Just like cruise control. My $.02.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Are you wanting to use a traditional hot foot (cable) or the G2 Hot Foot?

5. Member
    either one. I rather use the digital but if the digital didnt work with the standard box then I was wondering if I could just use my old hot foot.

6. Member
    The digital hotfoot will work. I kept my analog gauges when I repowered to a 150 HO G2. The basic controls package will accommodate the G2 hotfoot. It is much more sensitive than my old TH Marine cable style hotfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I know you have your mind made up, but still feel compelled to advise you to think twice about switching between hand and foot throttle. I’ve used nothing but hotfoot for 25 years, but have found that the option to quickly switch to hand throttle is one of my favorite features on my G2. I quickly found—very quickly—that the G2 hotfoot is incredibly sensitive, so much so that anything more than a 1-foot chop makes smooth throttle control very difficult. But the hand throttle function is 500% more steady in even moderately rough water, and almost indispensable in the really rough stuff (like Lake Erie on a warm summer day). Plus the hand throttle is extremely convenient when in long-idle situations, or any situation in which you would be cruising at the same speed for long stretches. Just like cruise control. My $.02.
    Same here. Prior to my repower I used a hotfot for 22 years. I didn’t think I could live without it but I’ve found my new digital one is just no fun unless I’m on smooth water and going mach 10. I have become a hand throttle convert. I use it 95% of the time.

If you are using the converter box just use your current hotfoot
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

8. Member
    spend the xtra money and get a 3.5 cs screen if you want a hot foot - then you can switch between hand and foot. I was going to install the foot throttle when i repowered, but after an entire summer i just don't see any reason to. i used the basic control and am using my analog gauges, and i tend to not even look at them anymore since the 3.5 has all the info right there.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

9. Member
    I find myself in the same position. I very rarely use the hotfoot because it is just too sensitive. Wear your kill switch and the supposed safety aspect of a hot foot is a moot point.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proptwister View Post
    I find myself in the same position. I very rarely use the hotfoot because it is just too sensitive. Wear your kill switch and the supposed safety aspect of a hot foot is a moot point.
    The hotfoot is sensitive, but I still prefer it for quick and variable throttle positioning, like weaving through traffic in a launch area, navigating narrow channels, and driving the boat onto the trailer. The very advantage of a hand throttle—that it doesn’t move as easily—is a disadvantage for nimble maneuvering. In fact, I still use the hotfoot feature 90% of the time on my G2 powered Ranger. I use the same type of throttle every day in my vehicles, and have done so for a very long time. Instant access to both modes is the cat’s meow.

11. Member
    Can you switch between the two on the fly or do you have to put the shifter into neutral first?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Spook View Post
    Can you switch between the two on the fly or do you have to put the shifter into neutral first?
    No you have to be in neutral . I am about 80/20 handthrottle hotfoot after 20 years of hotfoot. It’s just to damn sensitive for a 61 year old foot.

13. Member
    Spend the xtra to switch from foot to hand. You cannot run in rough water with the foot control! You will hate it if you don’t. Listen to what these guys that have them are telling you.
    Pool 10

14. Member
    I will definitely do that. G2 foot throttle way too sensitive to me too when I’m bouncing in the boat! Great advice guys!

15. Member
    Good move you will like the gauge as well. If you can,make sure you mount it “line of site” otherwise it will be extremely difficult to see. I really wish I had purchased the 7”.

16. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    +1

I quickly found—very quickly—that the G2 hotfoot is incredibly sensitive, so much so that anything more than a 1-foot chop makes smooth throttle control very difficult. But the hand throttle function is 500% more steady in even moderately rough water, and almost indispensable in the really rough stuff (like Lake Erie on a warm summer day). Plus the hand throttle is extremely convenient when in long-idle situations, or any situation in which you would be cruising at the same speed for long stretches. Just like cruise control. My $.02.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallmouthguy View Post
    Good move you will like the gauge as well. If you can,make sure you mount it “line of site” otherwise it will be extremely difficult to see. I really wish I had purchased the 7”.
    My Icon gauge is mounted low on my console and not the easiest to see, but at least the readout is extremely visible when I can look at it. I have a 12-inch Lowrance on the console and have many items of engine data displayed on its screens as well, but the Icon readout is plainly visible in all lights and from all angles, while the Lowrance is not. A bigger Icon screen would be nice, but any Icon screen is a must-have.