Thread: BPS and Cabelas

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Wow not sure why anyone would call you an idiot for this question. I guess that makes me well below even the idiot level. LOL

Friend swears by the PQ reels. Ive thrown them and they seem pretty good for the $$. Crank rods I believe have been said to be pretty good. Their line is I believe made by one of the major mfgs out there thats well thought of. Cant remember who off the top of my head. For the most part I think you can get a god idea of quality just by checking it out in person. Crap appears and typically feels like crap.

You will have a leg up on others in regards to the bargain cave. I assume your discount would apply to the cave so you could try to get a leg up on the public and find out when they will be pulling electronics to replace with next years model. Ive seen left over graphs or display units go pretty cheap in the cave.

What kind of discount do they give employees.

2. Member
    Cabelas clothing is pretty decent, better than BPS as a whole. I also like some of Cabelas plastics and tackle bags. Do yourself a favor and try to learn the product lines the best you can, nothing frustrates me as much as a employee who has no clue what they are selling or talking about. And YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post

You will have a leg up on others in regards to the bargain cave. I assume your discount would apply to the cave.
    BPS decided to get rid of the bargain caves.

I think Lews makes BPS rods and reels and Cabelas is made by Daiwa (spinning reels atleast) not sure on the rods.

I did find some of the Cabelas fluorocarbon that is made by sunline.

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have 5 ProQualifier 2 reels that will last a very long time, 1 Carbonlite 2.0 combo (7’ Medium/Fast) and 1 Platinum combo (7’MH/Fast) and they’re all good products. The Platinum is a great combo! I use a lot of BPS plastics, squarebills, and 4” & 5” Speed Shads..great swim jig trailers.

I’d say prioritize what you need then ask for specifics.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    BPS decided to get rid of the bargain caves.
    Well the BP here never had one but the Cabelas down the road did / does. Are they all gone from Cabelas?

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Cabelas branded stuff i found is better quality than bass pro. Well it used to be not sure if anything changed since the merger. All Cabela’s soft plastics are made by Big Bite Baits. Also, the Cabela’s Arachnid baitcast reel is a Diawa Tatula with a Cabela’s sticker on it. The only bass pro reels that are worth it are the pro qualifier and the carbon lite. Otherwise they aren’t worth the money. I’ve had 2 Johnny Morris reels crap the bed on me within two years. The higher end Cabela’s rods are decent but since you get a discount, just stick with the name brands.
    Cabelas stores flooded with Redhead brand, Cabelas brand almost nonexistent except for Guidewear. Cabelas employee told me Redhead appears to be very similar to Cabelas brand, just different label, but not buying that one...

I have always bought Cabela's brand clothing and found it was superior to the BPS equivalent. I have bought Cabela's Guidewear, wind-blocking fleece, polar weight thermal underwear, lightweight boats, and a variety of shirts and have always been pleased with the quality. The Guidewear is awesome. Better than the 100% mi/hr equivalent suit.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    I think Lews makes BPS rods and reels and Cabelas is made by Daiwa (spinning reels atleast) not sure on the rods.

I did find some of the Cabelas fluorocarbon that is made by sunline.
    Lews reels and BPS reels are made by likely the same overseas contract manufacturer but that does not mean Lews makes them.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Well the BP here never had one but the Cabelas down the road did / does. Are they all gone from Cabelas?
    They still had the one in louisville a couple weeks ago.

I buy only two things worth buying at BPS, their Red Head Angler Jacket and their Excel mono. Period. When they don't have them anymore, they won't get any more of my money.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

12. Member
    I think your question is fair and do not believe you are an idiot. Safe to assume you are just looking for guys that have good experience with various products that are private labelled.

Cabelas Slippers, but now that BP owns them I noticed they switched labels of Cabelas slippers to other brands and discontinued others.

Elk skin slippers are now Bob Timberlake.

Cabelas had great clothes but as others have said, a lot has bee discontinued. One example is Cabelas lined pants. All gone and now they have some crappy Red head version.

The best boot you will ever own are Cabelas by Meindl. I have one pair and I am considering getting another before they discontinue or change those too.

I was NEVER a fan of any Dry Plus Cabelas product. It was never water proof for me. But all their Goretex stuff has been fantastic, good as it gets.

13. Member
    Employee discount + sales this time of year for Guidewear would be pretty awesome.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hulapopr View Post
    They still had the one in louisville a couple weeks ago.
    louisville still had theirs as of this past Friday. Picked up a pack of vicious tubes and a jacket for my wife. Trying to decide on buying the XPS 100mph rain suit or the Cabelas guide wear suit (not in bargain cave). Torn between the two.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

15. Member
    Did Mark Perry have to change his avatar because of this dude?

16. Member
    Copyright infringement, lol.. maybe he can switch it to Redhead.

Personally, I like BPS stuff, EXCEPT that in my experience it tends to die pretty quickly, as in reels and rods. I had a couple Pro Qualifier reels, and for a season they were great. Then they got loud, didn't cast as well, felt rough. Definitely not terrible stuff, just not as durable as others.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

And I have a set of the Cabelas cheaper rain gear from about 5 years ago, with the dry plus stuff. AWESOME rain gear. Stuff is bullet proof in heavy rain and cold weather.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

19. Member
    My vote on this would be the carbonlite rods and the crankin sticks rods. Very good BPS products!

Quote Originally Posted by fvogel67 View Post
    Are You an Idiot
    If you don't belong don't Be Long here!!
    Knew it!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast