Thread: Winterization

Winterization

What do you all do to winterize your bugs? I've read that some run antifreeze through their bilges and live wells. Is this really needed? Also, I run a series 2 VMAX. I'm going to change the gear case oil, fog spark plug cylinders and check prop shaft oil seals. Looking at waiting until spring to change fuel filters. Anything I'm missing here?

2. Member
    I have never winterized my 2 stroke motors. I may have been stupid lucky but I have never had an issue. I make sure I tilt the motor down to drain all the water out. I have heard of guys who flood the cylinders w/ seafoam, but you better make sure you pull the plugs and pump the cylinders in the spring

3. Member
    I'm with bwp777...I have never done anything else other than to make sure that the motor in straight up and down with no water in it...

4. Member
    Changing gearcase oil is important, and fogging the cylinders is important. Your list seems pretty good. I like to run the motor out of fuel using vicegrips on the fuel line. You may also consider disconnecting batteries and greasing the zirk fittings on motor. Call me lucky, or maybe stupid, but I've never run antifreeze through any of the pumps or livewells, and I've never had a problem. Boat's seen temps down to -25 in the middle of winter.

5. Member
    Also, disconnect your water pressure gauge to make sure there's no water in it otherwsie it'll need replacing if it freezes!

Personally I do the following:

- Replace gear oil
    - Run Stabil in the fuel to make sure all remaining fuel in the system is treated
    - Pull each plug and spray fogging oil into each cylinder (DO NOT LOSE THE STRAW ) I'll turn over the engine a few times but won't start it
    - Store the motor trimmed down to make sure all water is drained out
    - Change the filters as per maint. schedule - I change the the fuel sepearator and 1st inline fuel filter after the first engine run in the spring.
    - I keep my boat inside but it wouldn't hurt to put plumbers antifreeze through the pumps
    - Fully charge your batteries.. I plug mine in once a month but many leave them connected all the time.. up to you really.
    - As mentioned above disconnect the water pressure gauge at the dash.

Anything else is general maint. keep on top of filters and grease points. Tighten all bolts (you should do this after every few trips anyway)

I personally leave as little gas as possible in the tanks but whatever is left in the tanks is treated. As the tanks are vented air can get in therefore untreated gas could seperate regardless of whether they are full or almost empty. I prefer to top off with fresh gas in the spring knowing that what is in there is treated and should be ok. You'll get various opinions on this. If the tanks were not vented then yes filling them would be best but that's my reasoning and it works for me.
    Current: 2006 ~ 20i ~ 250 HPDI ~ T1-25p
    Previous: 2005 ~ ZX 225 ~ 250 HPDI Phase III - TXP 26p

Quote Originally Posted by fmoore View Post
    I like to run the motor out of fuel using vicegrips on the fuel line.
    That doesn't work on the HPDI. I found out the hard way...$3k later.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

7. Member
    Thanks for the info fellas! Some good information here.