Banned

Thoughts on this lower gear case oil....

Serial #1B962471

What you guys think of this gear oil. Been in the lower unit since April just replaced today for storage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I’m no expert but that looks milky and water infused.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    It does look like there's water but what color was it new?
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwoodz View Post
    It does look like there's water but what color was it new?
    No clue dealer changes oil this last spring at my 100 service. I just changed it for winter storage.

5. Member
    Does look lighter than it should but could be partly due to the flash. Compare to fresh lube to know for sure and maybe have your gearcase pressure tested over the winter.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pour in a glass jar and give it a week or so to settle out. MAY be water in it... but it's a VERY small out if there is.

Should be "none", of course.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Pour in a glass jar and give it a week or so to settle out. MAY be water in it... but it's a VERY small out if there is.

Should be "none", of course.
    I poured the oil in another container with old motor oil so I don’t think I can check now. I inspected the prop shaft, no line no damage. I replaced the washers on the vent/drain plugs. You think I can run next season for a few outing and see if it was the vent/drain? I agree it’s not a lot of water the photo and poor lighting makes it look worse.

Thx
    joe

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you decide to go that route- I would check it immediately after the FIRST outing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor