Banned

Lower gear case oil...

What you guys think if this oil...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I think it has a little water intrusion.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I think it has a little water intrusion.
    Thats what I thought. I googled some pictures of others and some are terrible. Should I be concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Thats what I thought. I googled some pictures of others and some are terrible. Should I be concerned?
    Yes, I would be. Get that checked out ASAP before the next trip out. Get a Lower Unit pressure check, to see were the leak is.
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneida Ranger Z520c View Post
    Yes, I would be. Get that checked out ASAP before the next trip out. Get a Lower Unit pressure check, to see were the leak is.
    It's done for the season just changed the lower gear oil for the season. My question is that's a full 6 months of fishing season 50 plus hours on that oil. Wouldn't the oil look more like milk? My understanding is just a few drops of water can cause discolouration.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    It's done for the season just changed the lower gear oil for the season. My question is that's a full 6 months of fishing season 50 plus hours on that oil. Wouldn't the oil look more like milk? My understanding is just a few drops of water can cause discolouration.
    Water in that unit is your worst Enemy......

BTW...if you can....pour that oil in a clear glass jar, let it sit a few days. You will get to see the separation of oil and water.
    And that is not good!
    Last edited by Oneida Ranger Z520c; 11-10-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

7. Banned
    It could be a seal or as simple as drain/vent plugs. I don't see a massive amount of water in the oil, I replaced the seals on the drain/vent plugs. I will run the boat at the start of the season for a few outings and see if water is till getting in.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Just be careful, which it sounds like you are doing. If you have any kind of seal leak, it’s not going to get better. If it lets loose all at once, you will not enjoy the outcome. Replacing lower unit seals, if needed, is a straightforward and not terribly expensive job. Replacing a lower unit, or a lower unit plus a powerhead if it locks up, can break the bank. Some dealers will even do a pressure leak-down check for free, if you ask them nicely.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Always use NEW seals for the vent and drain plugs.

Buy a pressure tester. They cost less than one trip to the dealer to have it tested. You can get a vacuum tester also. It has saved many a trip to the dealer for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    when you first pulled the drain plug was it water then oil that looked like this,what oil was used royal purple ???

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    when you first pulled the drain plug was it water then oil that looked like this,what oil was used royal purple ???
    No water came out it was straight gear oil. Not sure what dealer used but sure it was Merc lower gear oil.

12. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Take it in for a pressure check. Bring that oil with you to show them.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

13. Member
    i leave my engine straight with shag almost touching the ground with the pan already under it for a couple days,then i open the bottom one and slowly crack the top one and sometime i might have a half of teaspoon of clear water then oil comes,different oils might be different colors,i dont know

14. Member
    pour that oil in a clear glass pitcher and see what the bottom looks like in a few days

15. Banned
    I have discarded the oil. The motor sat for a few days in garage before I changed the oil. I'm thinking it's a very minimal amount of water but I will have it checked out prior to next season. There is no oil leaking out that I know for sure.