Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    He needed a certain amount of resistance to get rid of the interference it was creating on the screen. You just messed up all his testing and solution. Put it back on.

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Well the trolling motor plug is toast. It goes in and out so easy after having the extra weight on it that I had to keep tapping it with my foot in order to keep a connection...I’m sure everything is working optimum like that!

So so now I just have to get a new plug and receptacle and put it back together CORRECTLY! I thought my Tm was going bad and it was just a horrible connection. I used to keep it on 5 (highest setting) and I used it on 3 today.

I represent that Triton comment!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    I always say "I resemble that remark."

4. Banned
    Hey at least they used electrical tape could of been wriggles gum wrapper and duck tape

Look at the Battery Tender TM plug. Awesome piece of equipment!
    2019 G3 Sportsman 1810
    MK Ulterra
    Helix 10
    Helix 7
    SHO 115

I still have a 1/2" wrench that took the place of a washer that pulled through on the passenger side glove box that is still in use to this day from rough water ride on Green Bay. Sometimes on the water fixes just get ignored and post poned if they work lol

7. Member
    looking at that makes my head hurt...
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

8. Member
    I am sure it did not come from Triton that way.

9. #FRB
    I've seen way worse from people doing diy car audio wiring that have no business doing it. My favorite is bare wire dangling from the battery terminal.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Yeah my family has an auto repair shop and some of the diy audio guys absolutely crack me up! 3 powermaster alternators and MILES of crappy wire running to 5-6 amps, miles of speaker wire used as power wire. I know I don’t know s**t, but I know not to do that!

Knowing the original owner of my boat I’m sure he paid some handyman to change the tm plug and since it worked he didn’t ask any questions, but boy was I surprised!

And yes, I meant to say “I resemble that remark”...damned iPad!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

What ? You never heard of "Gerry-Riggin'" ??? That's a TRUE example of fix it with out the right parts and make it work !!! I was the "Official" Gerry-Rigger in the service !! Can't count the times it saved our A$$ running up and down the Rivers in VietNam !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    What ? You never heard of "Gerry-Riggin'" ??? That's a TRUE example of fix it with out the right parts and make it work !!! I was the "Official" Gerry-Rigger in the service !! Can't count the times it saved our A$$ running up and down the Rivers in VietNam !
    Gotta agree here. I'm notorious for using what's laying around if it will get the job done safely. No one should be without electrical tape, zip ties, and duct tape. And several of each size butt connector. Get the heat shrink kind and you can put the heat gun on them for a permanent solution later.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Anyone with any electrical knowledge could tell right off that they should have used smaller washers.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I bought my little Triton in June of this year and have always noticed a...ball in the trolling motor wiring. Well it’s been pulling the plug loose so it was time to see what this was.

When I got 3 miles of electrical tape off I discovered this!

Instead of soldering the connections when the trolling motor plug went bad someone apparently took 4 big ass washers and bolted them together! Then they wrapped each side with enough tape to kill a horse then they taped them together...unreal!
    My biggest worry would be if there's any more of this handy work .

15. Member
    i think that he was trying to get rid of interference.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Definitely a hinky solution but it probably working fine. Like a solid metal bus bar, it can carry a lot of amps. The plug and receptacle are likely where your resistance is. Marinco makes a really nice locking plug and receptacle and they have a 6 gauge adapter to put on the back of the receptacle to directly accept 6 ga. wire. Or consider going hard wire with a breaker switch at the batteries.

17. Member
    These are the best plug I have ever used https://www.grainger.com/product/3BY...g!104635763397!

Sorry, i was in the middle of the lake when i noticed my trolling motor not working. I did not want to be condemned by my BBC brothers for not catchin any fish, so i had to do something. I found the break in the wire. So i went to my tool box and at the bottom i found some old washers, nuts and bolts and six rolls of 3M eletrical tape. I figured i can clamp the washers together and keep the continunity. Sorry i did not get around to fix it prior to selling it.....
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have checked ALL of the wiring in the boat, let’s be real it’s an 18’ tin Triton...now much wiring! Everything was factory and in perfect shape except this washer situation. I think the person that did this really thought it was a good idea...I mean he used big washers but the bolt and nylon lock nut tells me he put some thought into this.

I cant find a battery tender plug locally so I was thinking of hardwiring it with a breaker at the battery but I will check that link out, thanks!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Necessity is truly the mother of invention.
    It looks like a mother of an invention for sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast