Anyone changed carpet in xb-21?

I know the subject carpet vs an alternative (seadek, diamond deck, aqua traction, etc) has been discussed a lot.

But, has anyone here actually done the work to replace carpet with carpet or an alternative?

I love my boat, everything about it - except the blue carpet.

I was planning to change it out the day I bought the boat and for the last year, I've been busy upgrading other things, trolling motor tray, crank battery, electronics, changing setback plates, etc., but now the carpet is square in my crosshairs.

I'm seriously considering trying to install an alternative type product but undecided at this point.

So, I'm wondering how difficult it was to get the old carpet up and install the new product in an XB-21, anything out of the ordinary? My main concern with installing new is how the carpet meets the trim around the sealing edge of the compartment lids. Does it tuck under the trim or does it simply edge up against it?
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

It is on my list of things to do and possible the next thing!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Replaced the carpet in my 2003 once, have changed carpet in this 21 twice. second time I added padding to the front deck. The old carpet will pull up fairly easy but the adhesive will take some work if you remove it all!!!
    The lid carpet goes under the trim, it also goes under the hinges and latches. Most of the hinges in mine had SS bolts with nylock nuts-- a few had rivets that will have to be drilled out.
    Be aware there are several outdoor carpet glues that claim to be water proof but aren't --- I found out the hard way.

4. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    I have Ocean Grip in my Stroker and love it but the one down side is the gap between the lids and deck. Your life will not fit tight like they do with carpet and mat rattle.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    I have Ocean Grip in my Stroker and love it but the one down side is the gap between the lids and deck. Your life will not fit tight like they do with carpet and mat rattle.
    Spider, have you seen how the trim pieces go on the sealing edge of the Allison boxes? The carpet doesn't actually touch the sealing surface, the trim piece does. The question would be if the trim pieces can be installed over the ocean grip or whatever.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Replaced the carpet in my 2003 once, have changed carpet in this 21 twice. second time I added padding to the front deck. The old carpet will pull up fairly easy but the adhesive will take some work if you remove it all!!!
    The lid carpet goes under the trim, it also goes under the hinges and latches. Most of the hinges in mine had SS bolts with nylock nuts-- a few had rivets that will have to be drilled out.
    Be aware there are several outdoor carpet glues that claim to be water proof but aren't --- I found out the hard way.
    Did you buy the carpet set from Allison for your XB-21? If so, is it pre-cut to the correct pattern?

Also, do you recommend adding the padding on the front deck?

I have done both with the XB 21......The pre-cut is for sure the way to go.. Unless you want some heavier carpet.. Even then you might get them to cut and surge the carpet of your choice. The pieces all fit perfect..
    I'm glad I went with the padding.. but I do not use a seat.

8. Member
    Allison sells precut and pre surged. I replaced in my xb2003 many years ago.

Carpet in my 21 is still pretty good but I like the idea of seadec type material a lot

9. Member
    What adhesive you guys use? Paint brush type or spray can?

My carpet is crunching as I walk on it. Time to reglue.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

10. Member
    I used contact cement and brushed on.

11. Member
    I talked to Bill at Allison last week and the carpet set for my boat was $695 if I remember correctly.

Does Allison sell the padding for the front deck as well? Iassume that is an option for a new boat.

Having owned a bay boat and center console boat with non-skid decks, I am not a fan of carpet at all, but it seems to be the cheapest route by a large margin.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    Spider, have you seen how the trim pieces go on the sealing edge of the Allison boxes? The carpet doesn't actually touch the sealing surface, the trim piece does. The question would be if the trim pieces can be installed over the ocean grip or whatever.
    The sea form goes on top of the lid not on the sides so trim will still be there. That’s why the won’t fit as tight.

13. Member
    The sea form goes on top of the lid not on the sides so trim will still be there. That’s why the won’t fit as tight.
    Got it

14. Member
    By the way the sea deck for my Stroker weighted 30 lbs. shipping weight glue included

15. Member
    By the way the sea deck for my Stroker weighted 30 lbs. shipping weight glue included
    How did they cut the pattern? Did they actually measure a stroker?

16. Member
    They used a lazer to measure it then they had to make a few pieces twice to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolff View Post
    What adhesive you guys use? Paint brush type or spray can?

My carpet is crunching as I walk on it. Time to reglue.
    Do a search on the restoration page ---There are some good articles about this.
    I learned the hard way some of the adhesives that once worked, have changed due to Govt regulations in the last few years. I HIGHLEY recommend Henry 263