Downscan/sidescan transducer location

I'm upgrading my electronics. Lowrance Elite Ti2 12 at the console with Active 3 in 1 transducer.

Where is the best place to put that transducer on my boat? Should I put it on the very bottom where the live well discharge and drain plug is located? It will be low enough the engine will not interfere.

2. Banned
    Have a jackplate???... If so, check with Transducer Shield and Saver... Sorta pricey but well worth it... Dan

https://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/

3. Banned
    You don’t plan on this thing reading at higher speeds do you?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    You don’t plan on this thing reading at higher speeds do you?
    i don’t have a jack plate.

The new active 3 in 1 has down/side scan and 2d all built it. Would prefer 2d to read at say 30 mph.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    That transducer needs to be in the water to get 2d, so I would recommend a Stern Saver and put it down on the step.

http://sternsaver.com/

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Reggie...Refresh me....what is a Stern Saver and what do you mean by "down on the step"? I know this info has been here before, but searching with this dial-up is darned near impossible. Thanks!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    That transducer needs to be in the water to get 2d, so I would recommend a Stern Saver and put it down on the step.

http://sternsaver.com/
    is that down low where the drain plug is?

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by natchomamma View Post
    is that down low where the drain plug is?
    Yes ... and you might could find a spot on the transom where you could get it low enough. Lea, it is a poly block that glues to the hull to screw the transducer mount to without breaching the hull.

9. Member
    I put a block here for my active 3 in1 transducer. This should be a good spot right?

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

11. Member
    Got it installed. Hopefully will get to test it this weekend.

Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    need to angle it upward (rear high) so that when the boat is in the water, the transducer is sitting level with the lake bottom. That's for the best image quality.
    Take a small 2' level, some change and sit it on top of the cap and level it up. Trailer the boat, place the same amount of change under the level, then adjust the boat with the front jack until the bubble shows level. Now level the transducer using a small non magnetized torpedo level. This was on youtube and I did the same process and it greatly improved my Lowrance hds image quality.
    hope this helps a little. my transducer was mounted in the middle of the underside of the jackplate.

Quote Originally Posted by natchomamma View Post
    i don’t have a jack plate.

The new active 3 in 1 has down/side scan and 2d all built it. Would prefer 2d to read at say 30 mph.
    I would advise not using the 3 in 1 for 2d. It would have to be positioned slightly under the keel (unprotected) for good clean water and no interference from turbulence. The side/down scan transducers are delicate and expensive. Use a shoot through the hull 2d transducer for running on plane. No worries about hitting it and will pick up depths at any speed. Mount the 3 in 1 with the sternsaver (no drilling holes in transom) as Tx Champ suggests. Mount it high enough above the keel to protect it on plane and low enough so it's below the water line at idle speeds.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by smokewagon View Post
    I would advise not using the 3 in 1 for 2d. It would have to be positioned slightly under the keel (unprotected) for good clean water and no interference from turbulence. The side/down scan transducers are delicate and expensive. Use a shoot through the hull 2d transducer for running on plane. No worries about hitting it and will pick up depths at any speed. Mount the 3 in 1 with the sternsaver (no drilling holes in transom) as Tx Champ suggests. Mount it high enough above the keel to protect it on plane and low enough so it's below the water line at idle speeds.
    And how do you switch between the two transducers? Y cable? Yes, I can be dense...
    http://www.minnbass.com

“A ‘Liberal Paradise’ would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns.

And . . . believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist … It's called prison.”

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_S View Post
    And how do you switch between the two transducers? Y cable? Yes, I can be dense...
    My shoot through 2-D transducer plugs into the sonar connection in the back of the unit and the 3-D,side, and down transducer plugs into the 3-D module. An ethernet cable goes from my 3-D module and plugs into the ethernet connection in the back of the unit.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

16. Member
    The Ti units are not Ethernet compatible, no Ethernet plug on the back of the units. The new Ti2 can be had with or with out transducers. The 3 in 1 plugs directly into the back of the unit. You can buy the 3 in 1 and a 2D with a (Y) splitter cable, Ti2 model #14662-001. I was just reading up on them, so, also pretty cool the Ti2 can share sonar, waypoints, route data info with other Ti2s by wireless connectivity. Also supports N2K for engine data.

Natchomamma did you get the 3-1 out for a test run? How did it do?
    Last edited by Ed R; 12-03-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax