1996 Mariner 175 efi cold weather starting

My Mariner 175 starts and idles fine down to about 40 degree Fahrenheit. At or below that temperature it will fire and die the first time, then it is a bear to get started. Since it is efi there is no choke so I assume the ecm controls fuel flow. I have checked the air temperature sender and the resistance is within specs. I believe this is the only cold temperature sender on the motor. It will fire just enough to spin the bendix out so that it quits cranking. I have tried starting it with the throttle forward to increase the idle speed but it makes no difference. My local marine mechanic told me that is the nature of this motor and not much you can do for it. It has new battery and the on board charger is running all night. HELP

Quote Originally Posted by elishaman View Post
    My Mariner 175 starts and idles fine down to about 40 degree Fahrenheit. At or below that temperature it will fire and die the first time, then it is a bear to get started. Since it is efi there is no choke so I assume the ecm controls fuel flow. I have checked the air temperature sender and the resistance is within specs. I believe this is the only cold temperature sender on the motor. It will fire just enough to spin the bendix out so that it quits cranking. I have tried starting it with the throttle forward to increase the idle speed but it makes no difference. My local marine mechanic told me that is the nature of this motor and not much you can do for it. It has new battery and the on board charger is running all night. HELP
    I have owned three EFI motors of that era and none of them had that problem in temps as low as 28 degrees.
    Use 87 octane fuel only
    Quality top tier fuel
    Pump bulb up before staring cold
    High end battery that exceeds min. specs and have it tested to be sure it is up to the job
    Be sure idle speed is set correctly (sometimes requires adjustment for the winter months)
    Set TPS on the high side of spec.
    Trim motor level when cold starting
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    OK Thanks. I will try checking the tps. I use quality fuel, no ethanol.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to use the 2.5L forum (next one down the list).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Perform a complete link n synch on the motor or have one done by someone who can read a procedure correctly. I'd be willing to bet something's a little off, they shouldn't be hard to start ever.

Quote Originally Posted by elishaman View Post
    OK Thanks. I will try checking the tps. I use quality fuel, no ethanol.
    Having ethanol does not mean it is not high quality. In my area Chevron fuel is the best quality in my opinion and does have as high as 10%, in most tests for alcohol I find it is usually about 5% though. don't be paranoid about alcohol blends, just take a few precautions which is another conversation.
    Thank You Leon Pugh