Used '96 461VS value.

Hello Ranger owners - Starting a look for a used boat and came across one locally. It's intriguing due to the newer motor and general good shape of the boat. I've read these are a nice hull. What questions should I ask the owner outside of engine hours, known issues? Thank you all in advance for your help.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa...716847773.html

-12/24 trolling motor
    -hummingbird deph finder
    -tandum trailer
    -green LED light strip all the way around inside of boat
    - white LED light all the around the outside of boat for night fishing
    -150 hp 2014 Yamaha motor just previously went through to make sure everything was good
    -brand new 3 bank charger
    10,000 obo

2. Scraps
    I traded a 98 a couple years ago. Trade values were $7-7.5k. If I sold I felt I could get around $8500. When I saw this I was thinking around $10k for value maybe lower given the fact that by today's standards it's missing electronics. Ashame it's got a 150 instead of a 175.

It is a great hull and awesome boat to fish out of. Very nimble.

I'd ask for maintenance records of any kind. Check out the trailer for rust and/or issues with the hubs. Not sure if that year had COOL hubs.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    He lists this as a 2014 motor. Maybe it is, I thought they stopped making the pro v in 2008 or so. Is it actually a new motor or just a new/rebuilt power head ect. I would check on that. On my checklist: previous fiberglass repair, make sure it's not been sprayed with automotive clear, shake motor with tilted up and ensure no movement on transom, bottom of hull for exposed glass, stress cracks, check aerator & bildge pumps, compression and leak down on engine, maintenance records, look behind wheels for oil leaks, condition of bunks and last time replaced, bow hook (make sure not loose). I'm sure there are more but just a good walk thru to make sure you know what you'll have to repair before committing to a price.
    Good luck. that is a good hull, I believe that will be grease hubs not oil bath.

4. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Definitely not a 2014 motor. Maybe a 2004. Those ProV's were bad ass and the 461/462's run and ride great.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

5. Member
    Great info gents - Thanks for all the tips! I'll be sure to ask about that motor and trailer. Much prefer pulling a tandem over a single axle. Have a great weekend!

6. Member
    That motor for sure is NOT a 2014. Mid 2000's they rebadged thr ProV as Vmax. The first Vmax engines were the TRP, then followed by the carbed single prop and the OX66 fuel injected.

Nonetheless, the 461 was arguably one of the best and most popular hulls Ranger made. The carbed 150 is a great motor, just not a 2014, and not even close. Perhaps it's a minor oversight by the listing owner, but it is a red flag worth digging into.

7. Member
    That's a great Hull and very good looking boat. For that price I would want a 36v trolling motor, possibly better Electronics, and fully powered with a 175. I would feel better in the high 8's

8. Member
    Crankin' - I was thinking that too - The TM and electronics are a little dated, and not cheap to upgrade.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    That's a great Hull and very good looking boat. For that price I would want a 36v trolling motor, possibly better Electronics, and fully powered with a 175. I would feel better in the high 8's
    if that boat was is really nice it will bring the 9k10 but its really hard to find to one really nice,myself i am not a fan of a tandem trailer on a 18 foot boat,a tandem is a real pain to move around in garage but thats just me

10. Banned
    I owned my 1996 461 VS for 19 years and what a great boat. Never took it back to dealer for anything. I winterize and change water pumps myself.

11. Member
    Post some pictures if you end up buying it. I was tempted to look at it when it was posted but am happy with my 482. 400 series are great hulls.

12. Member
    That guy sent me some pics of that boat as I was going to look at it too. It looks like it has had some fiberglass work on the bottom of the transom. That turned me away from it but it's definitely something to check out before you buy.

13. Member
    I bought my 96 461 3 years ago for 8,500$. It had a 24v MG and 1 7" bird on the dash. 6" plate with a 150 Merc EFI. Glass was perfect, seats were fair and carpet needed replaced.

Tandem axle trailer is a big plus also. I own a 1997 VS 461, tandem axle, fortrex 101, Detwiller Hydro jackplate and 2 HDS 9s and 10 grand would not buy it. Perfect boat for the waters I fish.

15. Member
    Did you end up looking at the boat?

16. Member
    No I haven't looked at the boat - I'm still torn between fiberglass and tin...I like getting into nasty places without worrying too much about the hull. Still debating myself. ;)

17. Member
    Listing is down now....It was a nice boat for sure.