Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Silencers (Suppressors, Cans)

Who all uses or hunts with silencers? Ever since I bought my first one I hate shooting a firearm without one. Pretty much have all my rifles threaded now and have bought threaded barrels for most of my pistols.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My son has three. Sure is nice shooting with one on. It's a shame the trouble and cost you have to through to own one.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Joy indeed. I make my own, but it still sucks sending off the paperwork and $200 and then just waiting. My bolt action 22 with a suppressor is quieter than any pellet gun I have shot.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Member
    Which make/model do you prefer for your pistols? I have 22 long and 9mm pistols I want to add a silencer for quiet shooting.
    Thanks!

5. Member
    Some countries mandate their use when hunting. They can save your ears but I do not like the bulk and hassle of dealing with them and the hassle to obtain them makes them not worth it IMO. I would love to have one for a 22 but too much hassle for me. This is the USA and they should not be restricted like they are.

They’ll hang you in my state.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    They’ll hang you in my state.
    Yes and it makes no sense at all. The noise guns make can be a little offense. I really wound't want to have a shooting range near my house that I had to listen to constantly but yet a device that makes it much less offensive costs you a $200 fee paid to Uncle Sam or in some cases is not allowed at all. Guess we should take mufflers off our cars, trucks, and motorcycles and just run open headers too.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    Which make/model do you prefer for your pistols? I have 22 long and 9mm pistols I want to add a silencer for quiet shooting.
    Thanks!
    I am partial to SilencerCo. For the 22 you should look at the SilencerCo Sparrow (second from left in picture). For 9mm either a SilencerCo Osprey (6th from left) or AAC TiRant (5th from left). Depending on if you want square or round.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

9. Banned
    About 50-55 years ago I hunted squirrels in town woodlots with one. I had a .22 and used shorts. I added a baby bottle nipple with an X cut in the end. You could barely hear it.

10. Banned
    Fun to shoot but sucks to clean.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. mikesxpress
    For a .22 and squirrels with subsonic ammo not a problem. Stepping up to deer and larger game with subsonic ammo your ballistics all change dramatically over standard ammo. You will need to be significantly closer to your quarry and not have near the penetration/expansion.

What ever happened to the bill that was introduced to ease the pain of buying a silencer? Was it the safe hearing act???
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    What ever happened to the bill that was introduced to ease the pain of buying a silencer? Was it the safe hearing act???
    There was a major shooting a few days before it was scheduled to be voted on and the politicians deciede it would look bad to vote on it under the circumstances, so it was cancelled.
    Steve Sendelweck

14. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Passing it would just be good common sense....so there's your answer.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

I would love to have one on my Predator Rifle but haven't ever messed around with it enough to get the stamp for one

16. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I would love to have one on my Predator Rifle but haven't ever messed around with it enough to get the stamp for one
    They're like tattoos.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

What 7.62 cans are you guys using? Which are your favorite for hunting with? Will be buying one soon for my 308. Tired of using a loud a$$ brake.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSouza View Post
    What 7.62 cans are you guys using? Which are your favorite for hunting with? Will be buying one soon for my 308. Tired of using a loud a$$ brake.
    I've been in research mode for awhile. The silencerco Omega sounds like a nice can.

Where does one find the appropriate data for getting a can and matching the right one to the gun?
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Where does one find the appropriate data for getting a can and matching the right one to the gun?
    I can't speak for pistol suppressors, but for rifles, there's not much to it. .22 suppressors are good for any .22 rimfire and usually will also work for other rimfire calibers like 17 hmr. Rimfire suppressors almost always have 1/2-28 threads. Centerfire rifle suppressors are made for a specific bullet diameter. So most .30 caliber suppressors will work for 300 BLK, 308, 30 WM and so on. You can also put a 30 caliber suppressor on other rifles that shoot smaller diameter bullets like .243 or .223. 223 uses 1/2-28 threads and most others use 5/8-24.
    Steve Sendelweck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast