Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CGWright View Post
    Extended wait with the shutdown...

Yep!

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    Joy indeed. I make my own, but it still sucks sending off the paperwork and $200 and then just waiting. My bolt action 22 with a suppressor is quieter than any pellet gun I have shot.
    Maybe you could post up a drawing. I would like to make one for a 22.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Maybe you could post up a drawing. I would like to make one for a 22.
    Lots of information here: silencertalk.com
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Banned
    It's really not worth building one for a .22 when you can get a quality rimfire can for $350 that has a warranty. I would consider building one for 7.62 though. Some of the kits with titanium tubes look pretty nice for around $300.

One caveat to building. If it breaks you aren't legally allowed to repair it. Nor are you allowed to test or prototype baffle configs. Meaning, you buy the kit, and if you eff it up while drilling the baffles, well, you now are the proud owner of a completely useless $300 + $200 stamped metal tube. You'll need to resubmit another Form1 for a new stamp to try again.

Just bought a Griffin Recce 7. Now the wait. I've been hearing between 7 and 9 months. That is the hardest part about getting a can, the spending and the wait. If I would have bought last year like I wanted to then I'd have it by now...no sense in waiting any longer. I'll report back after shooting and will give yall a review.

6. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Just bought a Griffin Recce 7. Now the wait. I've been hearing between 7 and 9 months. That is the hardest part about getting a can, the spending and the wait. If I would have bought last year like I wanted to then I'd have it by now...no sense in waiting any longer. I'll report back after shooting and will give yall a review.
    I just did my paperwork for a can on my XD9. Hate the wait.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    For a .22 and squirrels with subsonic ammo not a problem. Stepping up to deer and larger game with subsonic ammo your ballistics all change dramatically over standard ammo. You will need to be significantly closer to your quarry and not have near the penetration/expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater Bass View Post
    I cant understand this fad... I understand the intent and I've shot both pistol and rifle with them. They do reduce sound levels to some degree some more than others but its not like it makes a weapon silent. The weight significantly changes the feel/balance and all of them are butt ugly. Not interested in paying for one or having to go through the paper work.
    On a couple of separate hunting trips where suppressors were legal, we were able to take big game (larger than deer) at extended ranges no problem.

Not only do the suppressors reduce sound, they also help reduce recoil. My wife was able to shoot the guide's 7mm Rem Mag with ease. It actually had less recoil than her 20 gauge bird gun!

8. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I shot some guns with suppressor this week. They are $200-$400 in New Zealand off the shelf.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    I shot some guns with suppressor this week. They are $200-$400 in New Zealand off the shelf.
    Smuggle me 3 30 cal cans and 2 22 cal cans please!!!

10. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Smuggle me 3 30 cal cans and 2 22 cal cans please!!!
    I should have. They said they sell them to Americans all the time. They carry them in camera cases, call them conveyor rollers, or mail them home. Me I am chicken as Unwound have ended up in jail with my luck
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    It's really not worth building one for a .22 when you can get a quality rimfire can for $350 that has a warranty. I would consider building one for 7.62 though. Some of the kits with titanium tubes look pretty nice for around $300.

One caveat to building. If it breaks you aren't legally allowed to repair it. Nor are you allowed to test or prototype baffle configs. Meaning, you buy the kit, and if you eff it up while drilling the baffles, well, you now are the proud owner of a completely useless $300 + $200 stamped metal tube. You'll need to resubmit another Form1 for a new stamp to try again.
    The bit about not being able to repair it is not entirely true.

The part that you are stuck with is the serialized part. If that's the tube, or the end cap, or the threaded muzzle end, or... THAT part cannot be repaired/replaced/modified, since that is the part that is identified with BATFE. There are several people I know that have blown their baffle stacks clear out through the end cap, but somehow not damaged the tube. Since the tube was serialized, they were repaired and returned to the owner with no additional stamp needed.

I thought this thread might be worth reviving. My question is do you have to have a permit for each can? My wife mentioned getting me one so I’m doing some research.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    I thought this thread might be worth reviving. My question is do you have to have a permit for each can? My wife mentioned getting me one so I’m doing some research.
    Yes. Each suppressor requires a $200 tax stamp. There has been some effort at the federal level to do away with this (Hearing Protection Act), but it never seems to get anywhere.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

Anyone make a recommendation for one that will work with both 22 and 556 both are 1/2 28tpi I believe.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

15. Member
    If your bullet speed exceeds the speed of sound it still has the sound breaking 'crack' as it goes downrange even with a suppressor. If you go subsonic in any round you need to be sure the bullet is designed to expand at the slower speeds if you are hunting while using one.
    Suppressors also cause the gun to get more 'dirty'. Particularly rim fires and they are 'dirty' to shoot to begin with.

16. Member
    Anyone make a recommendation for one that will work with both 22 and 556 both are 1/2 28tpi I believe.
    Fram makes some that will work! haha
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Anyone in Jackson TN, gander outdoors has their cans half price. Picked up a Sig Ti 7.62 and a Sig 5.56 both QD. Less than 900.00 for both!!
    Just got the paper work back for my SBR, took 17 days from when I e-filed.

18. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Anyone in Jackson TN, gander outdoors has their cans half price. Picked up a Sig Ti 7.62 and a Sig 5.56 both QD. Less than 900.00 for both!!
    Just got the paper work back for my SBR, took 17 days from when I e-filed.
    Well done/
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

19. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    You’ll need to go with 5.56, If you try shooting a 5.56 on a .22 can it’s too much pressure!!
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 11-04-2019 at 08:32 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Gonna piss of a yote with a rimfire. lol
    I saw a video where a fella dropped a 3-400lb hog with a 22LR, in its tracks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123