Harbor Freight Jack Stand POS

Thought that I would replace an old jack stand and saw the 2 wheel model at Harbor Freight on sale for $25. First, the mounting holes did not line up with the Ranger Trail Trailer. We used the mounting hardware that came with the replacement jack. Long story short ... the Harbor Freight jack is crap... and I will be replacing it after 1 trip with something made in America (if I can find that). I thought that because I was replacing a 1000 lbs rated jack with a 1500 lbs jack that I was upgrading - but I was wrong. I'll be spending around $100 and thought that I might save someone from making the same mistake.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Yeah...I tend to shy away from motors or tools with moving parts at Harbor Freight....

Wrenches...crow bars...hard to screw that stuff up.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    I bought a sawzll from HF. Just needed something to cut branches out from having elec. Used it once, found out I would need second battery, went to buy 1, they don't sell the saw or batteries any longer. Won't be going back to HF for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ldant View Post
    I bought a sawzll from HF. Just needed something to cut branches out from having elec. Used it once, found out I would need second battery, went to buy 1, they don't sell the saw or batteries any longer. Won't be going back to HF for anything.
    Was that one of those $20.00 they put in there adds? I often wondered about those.

5. Member
    If it doesn't fit don't use it. What could be simpler? Did it say "Use on a Ranger Trail trailer" on the box?

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    If it doesn't fit don't use it. What could be simpler? Did it say "Use on a Ranger Trail trailer" on the box?
    No. It said $25. Think it may be true: You get what you pay for. I think it also may have said, "Made in China"....

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooksetter5 View Post
    No. It said $25. Think it may be true: You get what you pay for. I think it also may have said, "Made in China"....
    Look on your fishing rods. That little round sticker says the same unless you're spending $100 or more, and still on some well over that.
    I have a new dual wheel Harbor Fright jack, in the box out in one of my sheds. If my jack stops working I'll put it on if it fits. If it doesn't I'll keep it for something else. It's only money. BTW, on my Load-rite trailer I've taken the rubber top off the jack and packed the gears with grease it made it work a lot smoother.
    Some Harbor Fright stuff is good, some is not so good. Frequently, you do indeed get what you pay for.

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Harbor freight I find is good for stuff that you are not going to use everyday like in construction or stuff. I just bought one of those sawzalls for $20 and it works great but it is electric not battery. Also have a 3" cut off wheel that is like 10years old and works great some of there stuff is good and others not so much.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I have a cheap HF tongue jack on my trailer. It does the job but could be way better. I keep hoping it will break so I can get a decent one. As far as tools go, I wouldn’t think their power tools would hold up to contractors abuse but they are mostly fine for occasional use. I bought their $13.99 angle grinder about ten years ago and it’s still going strong but I only use it a few times a year. I now have a $169 Makita angle grinder that I ended up with. I haven’t used the new one yet but I guess having two is nice. If the old HF grinder craps out today I will have gotten my money’s worth.

That jack was fine hooking up and dropping the trailer in one spot. But the second we tried to push the trailer back in the garage by hand the wheels wouldn't turn right and the jack started to lean and it was then that I knew it was coming off.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Do yourself a favor and get a Fulton Jack! On Amazon they can be found pretty inexpensive and that’s one thing you need to work when you need it. I love HF...great coupons for free flashlights!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    You will never be "upgrading" if you are replacing anything with Harbor Freight stuff.

I bought my Fulton XLT replacement jack off from Amazon Warehouse for almost 50% off of what they normally sell for and it was brand new but the box looked rough!

I had to add an inch spacer behind it to get it to clear the angled part of the trailer so it would fold up but that wasn't a problem.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get a Fulton Jack! On Amazon they can be found pretty inexpensive and that’s one thing you need to work when you need it. I love HF...great coupons for free flashlights!
    And the magnetic trays! Love those.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

14. Member
    Most all the tongue jacks these days are made in China. Half as good as the USA made originals, but also half or less the price if they were still American made. It’s how it works these days.

Quality can vary a lot, spend a few minutes of research online before rolling the dice to tilt the odds in your favor.

I went with Fulton, and it is a decent cheap product so far.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTTEXAN View Post
    Most all the tongue jacks these days are made in China. Half as good as the USA made originals, but also half or less the price if they were still American made. It’s how it works these days.

Quality can vary a lot, spend a few minutes of research online before rolling the dice to tilt the odds in your favor.

I went with Fulton, and it is a decent cheap product so far.
    Love your screenname sir. I can relate.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

16. Member
    Get a Fulton .....online you can find deals for around 50 bucks

Personally I think all trailer manufactures should center mount the trailer jacks. More stable and they steer better.