Mercury Reliability

Specifics: 2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS, S/N 2B021994, 25p Fury, 391 hours, installed on 2014 Phoenix 721 Pro XP, hydraulic jack plate.

First and foremost, I DO NOT want this to turn into a rant or negative post. The reason I am bringing these items to the forum is to see if my expectations and thought process is in or out of order.

I owned Yamaha Outboard motors for 16 years and wanted to try Mercury due to what I read and heard about performance, service, plus the black motors are sharp looking. I purchased this setup USED in January of 2017 and absolutely love the boat (and motor when it operates properly). Below are the items I have had issues with:

Yamaha (2000 - 2017)
    • Trim assembly failure - under warranty and replaced
    • Fuel pump failure - replaced
    • Trim ram seal failed twice - replaced by service dealer first occurance and replaced by me the second time
    • Lower unit failure - replaced by service dealer

These are all of the specific items that failed on two motors over a 16 year span. My boats were out of commission a total of 5 weeks in 16 years. Approximate cost - $3,500

Mercury (2017 - current)
    • Thermostat stuck due to debris - cleaned by service center
    • Lower Unit Shift Shaft Seal leaked - replaced
    • Lower Unit Bearing Carrier Seal - replaced
    • Compressor failure - under platinum coverage and replaced; fuel system (rails) cleaning not under platinum coverage.
    • Thermostat stuck due to debris - cleaned myself
    • Lower Unit Failure due to impact - covered by insurance
    • Miss at Wide Open Throttle - Unknown and being diagnosed

These are items that have failed in less than 2 years and has been out of commission 12 weeks. Approximate cost - $2,700. It should be noted that the bold items listed above are not a direct result of Mercury workmanship or quality. I have been fortunate to have this motor serviced and maintained by a very reputable service center which I feel has treated me fair with what they can control so I have no complaints there. Not knowing the exact details of this motor BEFORE I purchased it has been something I have also kept in mind.

I am starting to lose confidence in the reliability of this motor, especially looking out 5 + years from now. So my question is, are the issues I have been through with this outboard the norm or am I going through an unlucky streak? It appears that this motor operates great during the warmest months of the year and issues show up during temperature changes (spring/fall). For the folks that own these motors out of warranty/coverage, is it the norm to spend $2,000 + a year average to keep these motors in operation? I have heard the statement of "You can't get parts for Brand X because they are back ordered or made overseas" but what about Mercury with their parts being back ordered possibly 6 weeks?

Please understand that there is nothing I want more than to have that black motor behind me but I have become frustrated with the reliability and what seems to be a failure every 3 months it seems. Am I out of line for thinking that this specific product has an issue or is this common for all?

In closing, I am basically looking for opinions from fellow operators and service technicians so I can make a decision on this investment not to mention calm down and be less frustrated so please keep this thread constructive. And if my thinking is out of line, I am a big boy and can handle criticism so let me know!

If this must be deleted, I understand. Thanks.

2. Member
    The fact is you bought a USED motor, so you are at the mercy of how the person before you, used and maintained the motor.

3. Banned
    How did they get away with replacing the compressor on Platinum warranty, but not paying for cleaning up the downstream damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The fact is you bought a USED motor, so you are at the mercy of how the person before you, used and maintained the motor.
    I agree with this statement but based on your experience, IF the "new operator" starts performing proper maintenance - do the bugs get worked out (much like often times with used automobiles)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    How did they get away with replacing the compressor on Platinum warranty, but not paying for cleaning up the downstream damage?
    This item was recommended by the service technician although not mandatory based on inspection. And it is Platinum Coverage and not a Warranty.

6. Member
    FWIW I've owned the same Optimax for almost 10yrs since new and only one issue that needed correction (upper crankshaft seal failure) and it was covered under Gold protection plan. My annual maintenance costs are a set of plugs, water pump kit, fuel filter, air filter, and lower unit lube. Doing the work myself, my cost is about $150. I chose to have Don do my rails and injectors 3yrs ago as preventive maintenance and also opted to upgrade to TDR reeds while he had them. Although I could have continued to use them, he recommended I replace one DI and one side injector. Other than a new serpentine belt every 4yrs or 400hrs, that's all I've had to do.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Banned
    My opinion, purely my opinion you buying a used motor has NOTHING to do with the items you have listed failed. If you read the post in this thread you have done nothing but repeat your failures that others have had. T-stat issue's, been complained about, lower unit issues, leaks and bearings, been complained about.. Lower unit replacements because of impact, been there and done that. Surge or miss, others have complained about. Compressor issues, not enough time in the day to research that one. These motors scream. I run mine like I stole it. But I also know when I hit something under the water you can kiss that LU goodbye. X's 5 for me so far. I know that sooner or later you are going to eat a compressor. Injectors, bottom two will just about always be your issue, in my opinion, to include cylinder failure. Vertical injectors, where does all the trash eventually settle at. I know it will eventually blow the hell up and when it does, I will not whine or cry about it. Just put another motor on the boat and keep on getting it down the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    My opinion, purely my opinion you buying a used motor has NOTHING to do with the items you have listed failed. If you read the post in this thread you have done nothing but repeat your failures that others have had. T-stat issue's, been complained about, lower unit issues, leaks and bearings, been complained about.. Lower unit replacements because of impact, been there and done that. Surge or miss, others have complained about. Compressor issues, not enough time in the day to research that one. These motors scream. I run mine like I stole it. But I also know when I hit something under the water you can kiss that LU goodbye. X's 5 for me so far. I know that sooner or later you are going to eat a compressor. Injectors, bottom two will just about always be your issue, in my opinion, to include cylinder failure. Vertical injectors, where does all the trash eventually settle at. I know it will eventually blow the hell up and when it does, I will not whine or cry about it. Just put another motor on the boat and keep on getting it down the water.
    Thanks for the info Eddie. I am hoping that I'm just going through the gauntlet and she will get squared away soon.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    If the prior operator didn't routinely keep his compressor strainer clean, the compressors life WILL be shortened.....so compressor failure can be connected to MAINTENANCE.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

I'm going to paste in your quote (below)- MOST of which is (with the utmost of respect intended) excessive and useless text. Much of it doesn't pertain to your engine at all, and essentially ONE failure can POSSIBILITY be attributed to a defect (the current problem is still out for determination).

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer
    First and foremost, I DO NOT want this to turn into a rant or negative post. The reason I am bringing these items to the forum is to see if my expectations and thought process is in or out of order.

I owned Yamaha Outboard motors for 16 years and wanted to try Mercury due to what I read and heard about performance, service, plus the black motors are sharp looking. I purchased this setup USED in January of 2017 and absolutely love the boat (and motor when it operates properly). Below are the items I have had issues with:

Yamaha (2000 - 2017)
    • Trim assembly failure - under warranty and replaced
    • Fuel pump failure - replaced
    • Trim ram seal failed twice - replaced by service dealer first occurance and replaced by me the second time
    • Lower unit failure - replaced by service dealer

These are all of the specific items that failed on two motors over a 16 year span. My boats were out of commission a total of 5 weeks in 16 years. Approximate cost - $3,500

Mercury (2017 - current)
    • Thermostat stuck due to debris - cleaned by service center
    • Lower Unit Shift Shaft Seal leaked - replaced
    • Lower Unit Bearing Carrier Seal - replaced
    • Compressor failure - under platinum coverage and replaced; fuel system (rails) cleaning not under platinum coverage (Moderator Note... THIS Red Text was useful).
    • Thermostat stuck due to debris - cleaned myself
    • Lower Unit Failure due to impact - covered by insurance
    • Miss at Wide Open Throttle - Unknown and being diagnosed

These are items that have failed in less than 2 years and has been out of commission
    12 weeks
    . Approximate cost - $2,700. It should be noted that the bold items listed above are not a direct result of Mercury workmanship or quality. I have been fortunate to have this motor serviced and maintained by a very reputable service center which I feel has treated me fair with what they
    can control
    so I have no complaints there. Not knowing the exact details of this motor BEFORE I purchased it has been something I have also kept in mind.

I am starting to lose confidence in the reliability of this motor, especially looking out 5 + years from now. So my question is, are the issues I have been through with this outboard the norm or am I going through an unlucky streak? It appears that this motor operates great during the warmest months of the year and issues show up during temperature changes (spring/fall). For the folks that own these motors out of warranty/coverage, is it the norm to spend $2,000 + a year average to keep these motors in operation? I have heard the statement of "You can't get parts for Brand X because they are back ordered or made overseas" but what about Mercury with their parts being back ordered possibly 6 weeks?

Please understand that there is nothing I want more than to have that black motor behind me but I have become frustrated with the reliability and what seems to be a failure every 3 months it seems. Am I out of line for thinking that this specific product has an issue or is this common for all?

In closing, I am basically looking for opinions from fellow operators and service technicians so I can make a decision on this investment not to mention calm down and be less frustrated so please keep this thread constructive. And if my thinking is out of line, I am a big boy and can handle criticism so let me know!

If this must be deleted, I understand. Thanks.

Since there's absolutely nothing that you, I or any others on this forum can do to change the past, let's focus on the present and future and see if we can't get you out on the water and having some fun.

Do you possibly have another thread going on this engine currently?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1
    Do you possibly have another thread going on this engine currently?
    Absolutely not and no disrespect taken. And yes, your statement about present and FUTURE is precisely why I started this thread.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Roger that- so, let's look at the "miss at WOT" scenario. At what RPM is this occuring, is it constant, cycling, or intermittent?

Maintenance History (specific items and when done in the last 365 days)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Roger that- so, let's look at the "miss at WOT" scenario. At what RPM is this occuring, is it constant, cycling, or intermittent?

Maintenance History (specific items and when done in the last 365 days)?
    It is the most noticeable after priming fuel bulb and morning warm up during the initial run down the lake at WOT (5750 - 5850 rpm). The miss or hesitation is usually gone after this first run for the rest of the day. Cooler mornings show more misses than warm mornings. Cold days the issue will show up further into the day (5800 - 5900+ rpm) when the rpm are increased due to cold temperatures. Has shown itself over the last several months.

I would call this a intermittent miss.

Plugs with gap checked 4/18, water impeller 6/18, replaced gearcase oil (X3), and fuel rails cleaned & calibrated by Integrity Injection 10/17, and fuel filters 4/18.
    Last edited by rammerjammer; 11-09-2018 at 12:28 PM.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Two items to clarify or check:

1. You indicated plugs were "checked". Have they been REPLACED since rails/injectors were done? If not, strongly suggest it.

2. Verify BOTH engine banks are coming up to at least 120 degrees F at IDLE. Very critical- if engine doesn't come up to temp, it WILL run rich.

1. You indicated plugs were "checked". Have they been REPLACED since rails/injectors were done? If not, strongly suggest it.

2. Verify BOTH engine banks are coming up to at least 120 degrees F at IDLE. Very critical- if engine doesn't come up to temp, it WILL run rich.
    Yes, plugs were replaced AND gap was checked.

Yes, plugs were replaced AND gap was checked.