Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2018 GMC Canyon towing a 15 Ranger z520c

Thinking about downsizing to a Canyon to tow with. It has the 3.6l gas engine and boat trailer has surge brakesRated tow weight is just over 7000#. Don’t do aloe of long hauls.
    Just curious on everyone’s thoughts,
    Wayne Carlson
    2015 Ranger Z520C w/Evinrude 250 HO G2
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4

2. Member
    In my years of experience towing. It’s not just the pulling it down the road that you should consider. It’s the tow vehicles ability to stop in a panic or poor wet road conditions that really matters most. That truck will easily pull the boat down the road. It may not stop worth a darn if the roads are wet. I had a Ford 1/2ton short wheelbase pulling a 21’ Ranger 390 and was very pleased until one day a car pulled out in front of me on a 2 lane country road during a light rain. I could not even start to slow down,ended up slipping off the edge of the road and the berm was gravel and then it caught and started enough friction to activate the surge brake. No wreck and no damage,but it opened my eyes to needing more vehicle weight to take the extra push encountered in that scenario.
    i now tow with a GMC 2500 HD, and would not feel safe towing my z521 with anything else. Yes it is overkill in most situations, but I know it will stop no matter what happens in front of me. Just my 2cents and something to make ya think.!!

Ed

It would be fine. Braking distance should always increase dramatically when towing.
    If roads are wet, way, way more gap in following distance. If you are not willing to drive
    with in these limits buy a truck rated to tow double or triple your 4K lbs. boat.
    I’m not judging those that tow bass boats with 3/4 ton trucks or the guys that say full
    size half ton minimum. However, it would be safe and permissible if done safely.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

4. Member
    Will it do it yes, but I would think long and hard about downsizing. I made it all of 18 months with my Ridgeline, which would also haul your Z520. It for darn sure hauled my RT188. I'm back in a Tundra. It has nothing to do with hauling or towing. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that was about three times over a couple of decades that I've tried to go smaller and just always miss my big comfortable truck. I'll suck it up and pay for the gas. NO WAY is any Canyon going to touch a 1/2 ton Denali in comfort.

Bought 2018 Colorado with the Duramax diesel. Tows 7700 lbs. I tow my 3200 lbs aluminum deep v with no problem. The engine has more than enough power and utilizes and exhaust brake when needed. Just don't try to outrun a speeding semi while trying to merge on an on-ramp. The truck weighs 5100+ lbs and my trailer has electric brakes so the integrated brake controller does a great job. No problem stopping. I know, apples to oranges comparing a 3.6 gas motor to the diesel. And for me, the truck is very comfortable even after downsizing from a full size GMC Sierra.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

6. Member
    I towed my 2003 TR186 with a Dodge Nitro RT with the 4.0 engine. It towed fine for 6 years. I maintained the transmission every year, rear differential and transfer case every 2 years. At 115,000 km I had to trade it in as a paper weight as it had become unreliable as a tow vehicle. Had 1 tow at 300km home with the boat because I blew a seal on the transfer case, 2 weeks later it was back for transfer case work, blew the rear diff seal and then the transmission started to shift longer between gears without towing. The wear and tear is just too much for the smaller vehicles. Funny thing is my new ram with the hemi and 8 speed is way better in gas than the nitro was with and without the boat in tow. You just can’t go wrong with engine displacement and tow capacity, the nitro would sit at 2500, 2600 rpm and go to 3500 on inclines, the ram sits somewhere around 1800 rpm and kicks out of econo mode but stays around 1800 1900 rpm on inclines.

The Nitro RT is not close to the Canyon in tow performance or reliability. The TR186 would be about 3-3.5K lbs. Nitro tow rating would be close to that.
    z520C will be just over 4k lbs. Canyon tow rating is just over 7k lbs. The comparison while relevant is not apples to apples.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

8. Member
    RT with tranny cooler is 5000lbs tow capacity. All manufacturers are now trading off lighter weight vehicles and adding to the tow capacity or payload. Nitros never traded weight to up the tow capacity. My TR186 weighs in at about 3200lbs with a full tank of gas which is about 64% of max tow capacity and were not really that far apart, when your at about 57% of your tow capacity if you buy the canyon. I see your current vehicle in your signature, so every three years or so you’ll be buying another truck, the canyon will make it 3 to 5 years no problem. I keep mine for the long run and it was clear that the drivetrain suffered do to the heavier load regardless of how well I maintained it. In the end I got $3000 trade in, towed into the dealership needing approximately $3000 worth of work to the drivetrain and I had put almost $4000 into the drivetrain in the 3 months prior.

9. Member
    Yep I agree. So the take away of the story is a Dodge Nitro is not a good tow vehicle if you plan to keep it for awhile.

10. Banned
    7000lbs tow rating for a 4000lbs rig? That's it right there.
    Buy it.

If the truck met my needs in all other areas I would not hesitate to buy it and two a bass boat with it. Personally, I prefer full size but just because its big inside and I filled the bed with stuff enough times to know I’d miss it if I didn’t have it. I talked to a guy at the ramp that had the Duramax Colorado and loved it except for being small inside. He told me in that regard, my 1500 is much better.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter View Post
    In my years of experience towing. It’s not just the pulling it down the road that you should consider. It’s the tow vehicles ability to stop in a panic or poor wet road conditions that really matters most. That truck will easily pull the boat down the road. It may not stop worth a darn if the roads are wet. I had a Ford 1/2ton short wheelbase pulling a 21’ Ranger 390 and was very pleased until one day a car pulled out in front of me on a 2 lane country road during a light rain. I could not even start to slow down,ended up slipping off the edge of the road and the berm was gravel and then it caught and started enough friction to activate the surge brake. No wreck and no damage,but it opened my eyes to needing more vehicle weight to take the extra push encountered in that scenario.
    i now tow with a GMC 2500 HD, and would not feel safe towing my z521 with anything else. Yes it is overkill in most situations, but I know it will stop no matter what happens in front of me. Just my 2cents and something to make ya think.!!

Ed
    While I agree that the canyon may be a little small to tow a 20 ft ranger a 2500 series truck is over kill in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I'd love to drive around in a f250 but my f150 does the job just fine. 20,000 lbs tow capacity for 4,000 lbs bass boat.... then again I have buddies they tow larger rigs with smaller v6 suv's and tacomas so it's all what you are comfortable with. As long as the rig falls with the max tow rate...

13. Member
    Love my 2018 quad cab 4x4 Colorado. Has the V6. Tows my 200 ProCraft easily. Surge brakes, but my truck also equipped with electric brake controller. Not sure what Ranger uses but worthwhile option should you ever decide to pull a trailer with electric brakes. I would look at buying the 6 foot box version (mine is 5ft. and fishing rods are a PIA) if doing over again, but other than that No regrets. Especially when it comes time to park in a crowded parking lot.
    Don't buy it if you're thinking you are going to save gas money, I don't notice any real difference between this and my 2016 Silverado with 5.3
    Livin' the good life in the Haliburton Highlands
    Charter member of the new Haliburton Highlands Bass Club
    2003 ProCraft 200 SuperPro DC 200 Merc EFI

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pjk1953 View Post
    Love my 2018 quad cab 4x4 Colorado.
    my 2016 Silverado with 5.3
    How do you find the Colorado as far as maneuverability, compared to the Silverado?
    I like a small vehicle for getting around parking lots.

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    This is off topic but I ha e the same question as Nova Kaw? I love my F150 but I was looking at a Canyon yesterday. I watched the video that was posted on this site where they tested the gas vs diesel Canyon sxs and I was impressed with everything but the interior room.

Id love to get a smaller truck but I’m afraid I’d be cramped after having a F150 SuperCrew for so long.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

16. Member
    I drove the 2017 AWD Ridgeline for 18 months. I bought it because I wanted to see if I was ready for the smaller sized pickup. It did everything pickup wise I asked of it. It was much easier to drive in really crowded areas. Put my niece and nephew in the back seat and they were kicking the backs of my seats. They are six and seven years old. Two adults back there are for short trips only! I went back to a full size four door truck because of the room. I can’t speak to the Colorado outside of the Ridgeline had more interior room (useable) when I test drove them before buying the LOADED Black Edition Ridgeline. If it’s only you in the truck most of the time the smaller trucks may be the ticket? I will say riding down the interstate at 27-28 MPG on regular gas was nice. The comfort of full size over rides the mpg for me.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne c View Post
    Thinking about downsizing to a Canyon to tow with. It has the 3.6l gas engine and boat trailer has surge brakesRated tow weight is just over 7000#. Don’t do aloe of long hauls.
    Just curious on everyone’s thoughts,
    May get better gas mileage around town, but towing will get the same mileage as your GMC Denali. If it's just as a tow vehicle I think you will be disappointed. I towed with a V6 extended cab S10 for awhile, and it did the job, but not the same comfort as the full size vehicles. You will notice the difference towing to the NH lakes region, 89 to Champlain.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

18. Member
    I have a 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 - 8 speed trans. 4x4 Crew Cab long bed w/18” wheels. I tow a 2018 Alumacraft Competitor 185cs w/150 Yamaha and a Custom Heritage trailer. Highway MPG is 25 without trailer, and 15 towing at highway speeds. Fully loaded weight (guessing) is right around 3000lbs.

I have a 2015 GMC 2500 HD (Gas). Bought it after my previous 2500 (2008) hit 175k, I looked at everyone's trucks, and seriously considered downsizing....but you really get used to having all of that interior space.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I have a canyon v6 and use it to tow my 18 ft stratos. I Make several trips a year to lake of the Ozarks with it. It performs very well and I am extremely pleased with it. I am 5’8 and 175 lbs so it “fits” me. Rarely does more than 1 person ride with me. As others mentioned the back seat can be a little tight for adults on a long trip. My Gas mileage echos others in this thread, mid 20’s not towing, 14-15 towing. It is nice to park in lots and has comfortable cabin features.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast