Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That’s better mileage than my 04 F150 gets by a long shot! I average just under 17 on a daily basis and 13.9 towing my 22’ Bay boat AND my little 18’ Baby Triton...same mileage and the weight difference between the boats is pretty big! I want to see how the new Ranger does for a year or two before making a decision.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    That new Ranger is going to have a 4 banger turbo in it. My wife’s little Land Rover has a derivative of it backed with a 9 speed automatic. It has a different feel than a V6! While the mid sized trucks may handle a 22’ bay boat weight wise I wouldn’t want to drag one with it very far. Frontal area is going to be greater for one. That’s a biggie at 70-75 MPH.

The Ridgeline has a lot more room up front than the competition but is only rated at 5000 pounds in AWD. The others get front room penalty but more towing and off road capacity. I only tow my RT, a big utility trailer, and the occasional U-haul. The Ridgeline did all that with ease. I averaged about 7 MPG better than my ROOMY Crew Max Tundra, maybe 2 MPG towing the boat? Hook up a boat to any of these gas trucks and MPG suffers. I normally drive about 5 over the speed limit. Some drive 5 under when towing. Towing in most of Florida doesn’t compare to the terrain around here LOL.

3. Member
    Hopefully I'm not too late to chime in.

I have a 2017 canyon with the 2.8 diesel engine. It's fantastic. The truck pulls my new to me stratos 200XL on MO's interstates and the ozark's hilly roads just fine. It'll stop the boat well enough too. My towing mileage is 18-22 mpg depending on how much time I spend on the interstate. My regular mileage is around 32 mpg depending on the amount of city driving (I saw 35+ driving on central IL's interstates). The gasser doens't have near the torque curve the diesel does nor the engine/exhaust braking, so it won't quite pull or stop as well.

That being said, towing with a canyon will not be a pleasant as your sierra. You will definitely feel the trailer more when towing with a smaller truck.

4. Member
    My only question would be how it handles certain ramp angles, sure it can back you down, but can it get you back up from wet and or steeper angle ramps.... Just saying.....
    Dwight B
    Semper Fi
    2023 Ranger Z520R, Merc 250HP Pro XS,
    Lowrance HDS LIVE 12 Console and Bow Active Target, Dual 8ft Blade Series Power Poles,
    TH-Marine Atlas Jack Plate's 10" Setback

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    My brother works for Ford in Michigan and has driven a diesel powered Ranger. I posted a pic in another thread and can’t find it now. It was all decked out to look like a Raptor but I know they’re not offering that motor in the US. It amazes me how many weird combos they build that never get to the public.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    I went from a 2013 Silverado Ltz 5.3 to a 2018 Chevy 2500hd duramax when I bought my new Skeeter zx200 in January of this year and would t go back for anything! Not just for the power and torque but the stopping power also, exhaust brake definitely helps a lot. A canyon with the diesel will pull and stop just fine, provided you use the exhaust brake and I would recommend getting a 4wd if you are worried about having issues with pulling your boat up a steep boat ramp. I put my truck in 4 low every time I pull my boat out of the lake, just to keep the tires from spinning, especially on Fayette county which is notorious for having slick boat ramps and Sheldon reservoir which has the steepest boat ramp I’ve launched at.

7. Member
    Cute little truck, but way to small for me.

8. Member
    Most call us crazy but I had a 5.3 1500 too and bought a new Duramax. I pulled the tranny out of my 1500 pulling the Appalachians everyday. The smaller truck simply could not handle a 20ft boat. I bought my 2500 and I have no issues on any mountains or hills plus 18mpg hwy towing.

Quote Originally Posted by turtdogg View Post
    I went from a 2013 Silverado Ltz 5.3 to a 2018 Chevy 2500hd duramax when I bought my new Skeeter zx200 in January of this year and would t go back for anything! Not just for the power and torque but the stopping power also, exhaust brake definitely helps a lot. A canyon with the diesel will pull and stop just fine, provided you use the exhaust brake and I would recommend getting a 4wd if you are worried about having issues with pulling your boat up a steep boat ramp. I put my truck in 4 low every time I pull my boat out of the lake, just to keep the tires from spinning, especially on Fayette county which is notorious for having slick boat ramps and Sheldon reservoir which has the steepest boat ramp I’ve launched at.

9. Member
    I drive a 2016 Canyon 4x4 with V6 to pull my Bass Cat Puma 225 hp...20 ft....no trouble pulling or stopping the boat ...and with the 4 wheel drive no issues pulling out of steep wet ramps. I down sized from Sierra and yes you do feel the boat/trailer a little more...but still feel in control with no issues and I get about 15 mpg when towing and 22-25 when not. I rarely have anyone in the back seat of the crew cab so not an issue...but I agree if I had to do over I would get the long bed cant put rods completely in the one I have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12