Warming Engine out of the water

I have seen several threads on running the motor out of the water.

I did mine the other day to warm it up for its first oil change. I bought a 50 gallon tote and filled it with water and the water level was below the anti ventilation plate but above the intake and the prop was almost completely submerged.

I started up the motor but it never started to pee out of the tell tale. I'll admit, I ran it far to long like that and most likely damaged the impeller which I already ordered replacement part for.

I know there is lots of depute on if to run it in a tub, or on the flushing hose, or with ear muffs or with the special Yamaha nose cone or some combination of them.

I figured if it pees when dipped in the lake as normal it should be just fine in a tank of some sort.

It did warm up obviously, and I did change the oil and took it to the lake after dipped the motor in and it started to pee just fine. The water pressure is a little erratic so I will change the impeller.

My question is, where did I go wrong? How far up the motor does the water have to be?
    2019 ZX225
    Ultrex 112lb i-Pilot Link
    Minkotta 4 bank charger
    Dual Power Pole Pro-II
    Bobs Hydraulic Jack plate

2. Member
    Honestly I wouldn't mess with a tank. We run them in the shop all the time on a garden hose with muffs. Just remove the screens on the lower and it'll pick up water great. I would def change your impeller now and just for future reference, if the motor doesn't starting peeing in 20 seconds than shut it off to keep from causing damage

3. Member
    If the tank is deep enough, and the motor is inserted into the tank farp enough, then no harm no foul running the motor in a tank.

However. The water pump needs to be submerged for it to be effective. Particularly if it is dry to begin with. It likes to push water. It does not like pulling water. Particularly when it is dry.

The water pump sits above the line where the lower unit attaches to the mid-section. The water level in the tank needs to be 3/4 inches above that line.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    If the tank is deep enough, and the motor is inserted into the tank farp enough, then no harm no foul running the motor in a tank.

However. The water pump needs to be submerged for it to be effective. Particularly if it is dry to begin with. It likes to push water. It does not like pulling water. Particularly when it is dry.

The water pump sits above the line where the lower unit attaches to the mid-section. The water level in the tank needs to be 3/4 inches above that line.

Makes sense. I just tore it appart. The impeller actually looks ok, but the impeller housing got very hot. Of course I ordered everything but the housing. Here is to hoping I can find it local but I doubt it.
    2019 ZX225
    Ultrex 112lb i-Pilot Link
    Minkotta 4 bank charger
    Dual Power Pole Pro-II
    Bobs Hydraulic Jack plate

5. Banned

Yup ^^

This is just for a tank right? Obviously while running water is being pushed in?
    Frank

Stock 2012 SHO 225 with 255 hours
    2000 ZX 202-C hull

7. Member
    Risky business I would say.

8. Member
    The pump needs to be flooded )below the water line) to pump correctly. As stated above the pump pushes well but doesn't have the necessary suction to prime and pump. This is why you have a small amount of pressure while idling and it builds pressure easily when moving. You are pushing water into the pump suction.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

Would a blue plastic 55gallon drum work? Would that be safe to run the engine at your house? Just asking..

Jason Davis, MSgt, USAF, Retired

IF YOUR NOT GETTING HUNG UP, YOUR NOT FISHING WHERE THE FISH ARE!!"

2019 Falcon 195
    2019 Yamaha SHO 200 w 23P Fury
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    Helix 9 SI with Mega (Console)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritonboy2001 View Post
    Would a blue plastic 55gallon drum work? Would that be safe to run the engine at your house? Just asking..
    Yea. A lot of the water will come out bit just keep the hose running in it. You will have to cut the barrel down so it fits under everything