Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Got out today for 4 hours had to break ice to get in and ramp was terrible , 38.8 water temp 36 air temp when I put in, 4 hours and one bite and missed it ,got real chilly when the clouds came in and little wind came up oh well better luck next time
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    Went out on Saturday for about 3 hours when the wind laid down it was beautiful on the water , there was some icing ,but it was just floating close to shore. My friend caught 2 2+lbers and I caught 1 around 3 1/2 football jigs dragged very slowly in 12-15 feet of water 33.6 - 35.8 water temp . Really nice just to get out again fish were a bonus

3. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Thinking of trying to sneak out Friday for a few?

4. Member
    Went down to Mashpee with an old friend today and we caught 5 decent smallies, all on the blade bait. Surface temp was 40-41 degrees, and was actually a pretty nice day out there.

Oh, and if any of you happen to snag a Google Pixel 2, all black, from about 30 feet of water, please let me know. I'd like to have that back.

5. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    I got out today and got embarrassed by my buddy. He caught a 4 lb 13 oz in the first ten minutes and ended up with 4 fish. I got the big goose egg!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdnckYnkee250 View Post
    I got out today and got embarrassed by my buddy. He caught a 4 lb 13 oz in the first ten minutes and ended up with 4 fish. I got the big goose egg!
    I'm looking to take the boat out this weekend. Are most lakes on the Cape open water still?
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jprovencher80 View Post
    I'm looking to take the boat out this weekend. Are most lakes on the Cape open water still?
    All of them are as far as I know. They'll only freeze up when we get two weeks of VERY cold weather, from what my friend said to me on Sunday, and he lives down there. Though Twitch here can probably confirm, he's down in that area as well.

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    most cape ponds should be open with the weather we have been having saying like 50's on sat and tues maybe the same

9. Member
    Great! Thanks
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

10. Member
    Anyone know if Newfound, Winni, or Winnisquam are still open? Newfound still looks wide open from the web cam, but you can't see the launch side/area. I know Winnisquam was wide open last weekend but looks like it refroze a bit, and Winni was mostly open last weekend too, but also likely refroze. I'd like to think the warm weather and wind later today and all day tomorrow will knock off any skim coating of ice they'd have.

11. Member
    Went to Newfound today. It was a surprisingly gorgeous day out there. Air temp was a bit chilly in the low 20's, but there was no wind for almost the entire day, and the sun stayed out for most of the day as well. Got a late start and had to back track to Aubuchon Hardware for sand, forgot my sand bucket. The whole parking lot and ramp was a solid sheet of ice. Got some sand down and it was fine after that. Spent an equal amount of time across 4 main spots with nothing to show for it. Marked a lot of bait and some fish, and had a big rainbow chase my friend's blade bait right to the boat, even kept swiping at it for another 30 seconds right at the boat but wouldn't commit. Bounced between two more spots to end the day. Only thing to show for it was a decent lake trout that I caught, only my 3rd one I've ever caught. Hammered the blade bait at 40 feet and fought really well.

Water temp was 34-35 degrees and the launch area went from completely clear to start the day, to having a solid skimming of ice covering the whole launch area to a good 80 feet out. I have no idea really what I'm doing right now. Blade bait is still something I'm not super comfortable with, and I've never fished open water that is this cold. But it was an awesome day and I had a blast. The weather was beautiful, it was awesome to be out there completely alone with a great friend, and I got more time on the water getting practice in with something I'm not very good with. But I'm gaining confidence.

Got a lot of crazy looks at every stop we made on the way up. Had a bunch of people coming to the launch area to walk the hiking trails and everyone got a kick out of us going out there. There was a group of guys setting up ice shacks on the southern portion between the island and the dam, that was pretty funny to see while I was towing the boat right by them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12