Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Question anyone been getting out and how do you find the bite??

I have been out for a few times over the last month or so and found the bite to be really bad ,these are ponds or bodies of water that I know fairly well and couldn't buy a bite even skunked on one of my favorites. Anyone else been how and how do you find the bite , water is only 51 to 54 so don't think that is the problem and it's not only me a lot of my buds are also struggling
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    Bummed to hear that. I lived in Newport a few years ago and really enjoyed that area. My only suggestion is to fish off the points and troll in a triangular pattern shallow to deep until u find them on sonar. Trolling is my go too cover water technique. Lol

3. Member
    S-l-o-w d-o-w-n. Ponds are notorious for slower bites than rivers when they cool down. I'd use scent on plastics at this time.

they had to smarten up eventually. it's been slow for me too this year, ALL year!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

5. Member
    It's still pretty warm here. I stopped at a public park yesterday on my way home and got 4 on a buzzbait, two on a spinnerbait and two on a crankbait. My legs have been hurting so I only stayed an hour and a half.
    You might try downsizing, i used a very small crankbait and small (strike king mini 3/16 ) spinnerbait. I have a stock of the old Strike Kings when they were made with the Sampo ball bearing swivel. It makes a heck of a difference the new ones use a cheap stamped swivel.

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Greg, I had a good season it's just been the last month or so it seems like it has just gone downhill for me and a lot of the guys I know ,it has been tough to find them...

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Greg, I had a good season it's just been the last month or so it seems like it has just gone downhill for me and a lot of the guys I know ,it has been tough to find them...
    you need to take some lessons from Jane and Everett?

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP

Quote Originally Posted by yanknbass View Post
    you need to take some lessons from Jane ?
    FIFY

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    That's what I was thinking also, sorry Everette ….LOL

Went out today for a bit ... froze my cookies off for a white perch and a yellow perch barely bigger than the silver buddy I was throwing .. partner got a 12 inch bass on a jerkbait

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Bill and I went up Maine to pick up his boat with a new powerhead. Had to go to a lake to make sure it was running, yaddy yada I caught a nice 3lber on a chatterbait, motor ran good too!
    Still hoping to get out some more.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP

12. Member
    This past weekend, the weather sucked but the fish were biting. Friday, I was on a hot blade bite & hammered the smallies. Found them in 25 to 45 feet of water. Saturday got into the largemouth with jerkbaits, shad raps and chatterbait. Fished a small shallow hundred acre pond. The bite was hot but the weather was cold with NW wind, rain & periods of snow. Water temps on the bigger smallie lake were 44 to 45 degree range. the small largemouth lake was colder w/ temps 41 to 43 degrees....regards, Riley

13. Member
    Got out to a small pond in southwestern NH yesterday. Water temps were 41-42 degrees on the north bank. The place is about 60 acres, average depth of 9 feet, max depth of 15 feet. Found them stacked up a bit on one of the points of a channel, on the upwind side of it, water is 6-8 feet deep there. Worked a blue Megabass jerkbait there and caught 6 in about an hour, 10-15 second pause did the trick.

Felt good to have another good day with the jerkbait. I've been trying to gain confidence with this bait for way too many years. But yesterday was another good day with it that I really needed. Picked it up and figured it out on my own, instead of fishing with someone that really knows what they're doing with it, and just copying them. That's my 2nd good day with it this year.

Hoping to get up north to the lakes region this weekend if the friggen wind will stop blowing. I'd like to get in on a good blade bait bite for the smallies. Or I may head south and fish one of the cape ponds. Not sure. But I'm going to do my best to keep the boat in the water through MOST of the winter this year. If I can get out once every 2-3 weeks, I'll be happy.

Al, a few guys out there today.

15. Member
    Fished a tbf open on candlewood 11/11 and won with a five fish limit of smallies for 21.52#. Bite is on!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos295pe View Post
    Fished a tbf open on candlewood 11/11 and won with a five fish limit of smallies for 21.52#. Bite is on!
    That's awesome, congrats! What were you catching them on, jerkbait or blade bait? I've got a couple of friends that live down that way and fish that place often. I'm going to try to make the trip down to the before the year is over for some blade bait action.

17. Member
    A-rig and keitech swimbait. Bite will only get better as the water dips into the 40's.

18. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Gonna try Long Pond Lakeville sat and see what I can muster up , got half a day to burn so why not go fishing will be a little cool but no ice so time to go.

19. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    got out once last week to Carver only could muster 2 2lber's for about 4 hours fishing but better than a skunk, gonna try to sneak out Friday looks like light winds for a few and see what I can find....

20. Member
    Tentatively planning on headed up to Newfound on Saturday, or may get one last trip in on a smaller local lake so I don't have to do any shoveling at all. Undecided, but I'd really like to go chase the smallies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast