Thread: P II vs. Cougar

P II vs. Cougar

Hey BCB Guys.
    I currently own a 2008 BCB Pantera II that I picked up for about 27k, (not paid off yet) I love the boat to death, I’ve had it for about a year but I blew the Yamaha vmax HPDI on it... AGAIN. I found a new 200 SHO w/6 years warranty to put on it for around 15.5 k. Boat will also need a 10 gallon tank added to it and probably one more power pole as I fish Okeechobee and will be fishing costas.
    but looking around for the sake of looking around I found a 2007 Cougar w/ a 2017 250 optimax with 5 more years of warranty for sale around 31k. Bare bones, no poles, no jackplate, and lets just say the bow needs a minn Kota :)

I am torn pretty bad on what to do and where to go. Would just like some opinions basically, hopefully someone says something that makes a lot of sense.

2. Member
    I purchased a 2008 cougar in August and I haven't looked back. It is fast when you want it to be and the rough water ride is incredible. I fish a lot of tournaments and love the layout of the boat. I have fished 3 people off of the front deck comfortably as well

I sold my 2010 P2 for a 2016 Cougar. Both are great boats and handle the rough stuff really well. The Cougar is definitely has more storage and room for a net. It is better at rough stuff than the P2. I’ve had both on Erie and felt more in control with the Cougar. A 4 blade helps a lot. The Cougar is an easier boat to drive at all speeds especially in the low to mid 70s. The hole shot goes to the P2 all day long and I’d bet is quicker to 60mph than most boats.

The Cougar is a bigger, better boat but not by a lot. The value/cost of the upgrade is only a question you can answer.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

You fish the the Big O. Upgrade.

I went from a PII to a Puma FTD.

Yes - the PII can handle the Big water with no issue, But the Couger / Puma handle it better.

Hole.shot much better on PII, but the right people will open up the Couger.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

The standard Cougars typically come with the 26 and 10 gal fuel tanks for 36 total over the P2's 33 under the seat so unless this Cougar has the twin 26 G option you are not gaining enough fuel advantage to make up for the bigger motor. JMHO.

That being said, The cougar is probably the smarter OAL package unless you are in love with the P2.