Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Water found in lower oil

Shop called after winterization and said they found water in my lower oil. Didn't do any further diagnostics but assumed the gears were shot and needed 2500 for a new lower. 2002 225 mercury efi vin 0T591189. Should I get a second opinion? Is 2500 about right to replace with new. They said I could save a couple hundred only by going remanufacture.
    Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

2. Scraps
    The mere fact that there is water in the LU oil doesn't necessarily mean the gearbox is shot. There would also be a sh!tload of metal shavings and/or chunks of gear coming out. I would ask that they show you the evidence. Water in the lower unit oil is a fairly common issue that can be addressed with a new seal. Very common problem that costs a couple $100 to fix.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Thank you sir! Makes me feel a bit more positive. Only ran the engine about a dozen times this season and it ran very well the last time out? Using your feedback I will definitely schedule to have it looked at by another shop that focuses on repair and not sales.

4. Member
    Check too see if you have fishing line around seal if so take a pic. Insurance may cover damage to lower unit if caused by fishing line.

5. Banned
    Everyone needs to stop and get their lower units vacuum and pressure tested from time to time. I ignored proper maintenance on my old 115 Yamaha 2 stroke, and toasted the lower unit. Had to buy a new F150.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pressure test- Mercury doesn't use vacuum testing due to some gearcase seal setups not supporting it.

That being said- the OP should have this gearcase inspected. Pressure test, then teardown and determine what if any METAL COMPONENT damage has occurred.

If you need a NEW replacement gearcase, the price you were given is approximately correct for diagnostic time, installation and a replacement gearcase.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Many thanks mr moderator and others for your help. I'll get it pressure tested and inspected in the spring and hope it just needs new seals.

8. Member
    If you remove the lower unit NOW, and take it to a Dealer, they can repair it during the off season, and you'll be all set when Spring arrives.

Maybe take it to a dealer to get the lower unit pressure tested that doesn't want to replace it as a first course of action. If you winterize your motor yourself, you'll know what new lower unit lube looks like and will know if there is a problem at the end of the season.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    If you remove the lower unit NOW, and take it to a Dealer, they can repair it during the off season, and you'll be all set when Spring arrives.
    X2 on that one for sure! exactly what I'm doing!
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

11. Member
    I've not ever removed a lower unit. Is this something difficult or just a matter of draining the oil and removing the bolts to the upper?

12. Member
    Its easy....follow the steps in the "water pump replacement " sticky, are the top of the forum page.

Not sure about your lower unit, I remove mine with the fluid in it to replace the water pump. Don and Savage can help you with the particulars, but I recommend getting the Mercury manual for doing basic stuff if you plan on keeping the boat/motor for awhile.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Not sure about your lower unit, I remove mine with the fluid in it to replace the water pump. Don and Savage can help you with the particulars, but I recommend getting the Mercury manual for doing basic stuff if you plan on keeping the boat/motor for awhile.
    +1 to that. I don't drain my lower to service water pump either, remove prop, yes and definitely second the recommendation for a Mercury service manual for your engine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

15. Member
    *** MODERATOR EDIT: Please review Forum Announcements.

Just take your time and do it right. Be careful when putting the unit back on. The shift shaft needs to wiggle back on and sometimes you will need to lightly bolt the lower unit on (again lightly snug) then jiggle your throttle slightly so that the grooves on the shaft line up and the lower unit slides into place. Everyone here has a different method of doing this. You may get a few different answers. I leave the throttle in neutral and apply what I just mentioned here.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-13-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Announcements

16. Member
    thanks tomloans this is extremely helpful and I appreciate your time as well as everyone else who replied! First thing i'm doing is purchasing a service manual to read up on and then I can come up with a plan. I have all winter so i'll take my time.

17. Member
    Looking at the oem specialty tools needed to do this leakage tester, bearing and gear housing tools and pullers it's clear of $500...so that 2500 for a brand new lower installed isn't looking so bad right now?

18. Member
    CXP you will need a stand. I put a link to it last time but that is not according rules and it was removed ( i believe ). I used a black and decker WM225 to put the lower unit in while I was working on it. it cost about 60 to 90 dollars you can find it in the usual places on the web but worth it to lock your heavy lower unit in place while you work on the unit. You could make a stand also out some 2X4's laying around but you will need something to hold it firmly in place.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    2x4 stand is quite inexpensive and may be a worthwhile investment for you. Easy to do as tom said.

I will say that we do NOT normally recommend gearcase repairs as a DIY project, due to the high number of special tools and service techniques required.

As discussed earlier, you may find some really simple driveshaft or shift shaft leaks that don't require specialty tools. Those are easily done by someone capable of doing the water pump.

If you want to cheat a bit, someone with an old blood pressure cuff, a pressure gauge, and a little ingenuity can easily make an inexpensive pressure tester that can handle up to 8-11 psi.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

20. Member
    Bicycle pump can be converted to pressure test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast