Mercury loss of power top end.

2000 Mercury 125 ELPTO Ser. ot074244

Motor has a miss on all 4 cylinders above mid range on the throttle. I checked it with a timing light. Stator DVA was good connected (210v) dissconected it was low (173v) voltage regulator yellow wires were melted had to cut them to test, no change. Stator and regulator were replaced. miss was still there. Disconnected rev. limiter and tested, still the same. Trigger DVA was purple 3.6v, white 3.5v, brown 3.5v, blue 2.8v. OHM test for the CDM,s was in range.

Ok have at it what am I missing here, my only thought is a bad flywheel had this happen on a buddy's motor, I looked it over good when I had it off. Cleaned the ground for the CDM's but have not got to run it yet to see.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When you say you disconnected the rev limiter- did you physically REMOVE it and disconnect ALL wires, or perhaps just the Black w/Yellow Stripe lead?

COMPLETELY remove for testing. IE... at least 5 feet away from the engine cowling.

Just do it... and make sure you are using ONLY the recommended plugs (BPZ8HN-10).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Ok thanks will try that just disconnected the 2 wires and tested per the manual. The plugs are the correct ones checked that. THANKS FOR THE INPUT WILL RETEST AND BE BACK.

4. Member
    Well that helped the high end miss but now it runs along and loses power, throttle back and give a sec and it will go again, or die and start right back up . Fuel pressure and vac. were good.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check carbs... AFTER verifying that you no longer are losing spark.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Been through the carbs linked and synced, will get back out and check fire.