Replacing Cylinders

A buddy of mine is looking at a boat that has a 2007 300 Yamaha Vmax on it. One of his friends is selling it and told him he just replaced all 6 cylinders because a couple of them went down on him. Is this a common occurrence with the older Vmax's? Also, how much does it cost to replace a cylinder?
    2021 Bass Cat Eyra w/ 300 Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    I would ask why the 6 cylinders went Down. OX66 are good reliable motors and easier maintenance.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    I would ask why the 6 cylinders went Down. OX66 are good reliable motors and easier maintenance.
    The cylinders were losing compression.

4. Member
    Individual cylinders are not normally replaced. They may be repaired however.

If all six cylinders were replaced I suspect that the entire block was replaced. But ...

I presume the motor in question is an HPDI. Since the OX66 was never made available in a 300 HP model. The big block HPDI's are known to having certain cylinders being more prone to fail than other cylinders. Detonation is my guess as to the reason why.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Individual cylinders are not normally replaced. They may be repaired however.

If all six cylinders were replaced I suspect that the entire block was replaced. But ...

I presume the motor in question is an HPDI. Since the OX66 was never made available in a 300 HP model. The big block HPDI's are known to having certain cylinders being more prone to fail than other cylinders. Detonation is my guess as to the reason why.
    The boat is for sale at a good price. Like 3 or 4 grand cheaper than what it's worth do you think it's worth taking the chance?

6. Member
    It's a toss up. When I was looking at boats, I saw plenty anywhere from 20 to 35 percent off book value. It had a at Etec on it and was the reason for the lower book price. I myself have learned sometimes cheaper cost more in the end. Just my two cents...

7. Member
    Take it to a mechanic and get checked. Pay the 100 and see whats really goin on. My powerhead was rebuilt and i had em replace everything. Lost one piston, but i figured if they goin in they may as well rebuild it all. So that could be the case here as well. Just do yourself a favor and have it looked at. If its that good of a deal, whats it to pay a good mechanic to be sure.