Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    The only way to have the flexibility you want is to be your own boss. What do you like do that others would find value in? Handyman? Landscaper? Heck, my wife cleaned houses for $20/hour and could set her own schedule. That's an option as well.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

2. Member
    Never been easier to make money than it is now. You have lots of options that could supply 30k-50k and give you a good amount of flexibility. Start an online business, buy stuff at yardsales/craigslist and flip it on ebay or facebook marketplace, lots of options. If you can't make $30k in a market like Houston you aren't hustling.

3. idbefishing
    deliver for Amazon and pick up routes for Uber or Lyft

4. Member
    With five pages of replies, this will probably never be read....but....

At your young age, if you DON'T find something rewarding and challenging, then your future is bleak. You will quickly have little self-worth, and your impressive wife will know that. I was lucky, after 20 years on the job, to move to a sales position that fit me to a -T-. The next guy might have hated it.

You've got to spend some time sorting through what you find challenging, and then find a spot that will allow you the time to continue to properly handle the home-side of things, and yet give you a very good reason to get up every morning.

Take your time. Try things out. Make it work.

If you don't have a job that you enjoy, every day just gets longer and longer.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    With five pages of replies, this will probably never be read....but....

At your young age, if you DON'T find something rewarding and challenging, then your future is bleak. You will quickly have little self-worth, and your impressive wife will know that. I was lucky, after 20 years on the job, to move to a sales position that fit me to a -T-. The next guy might have hated it.

You've got to spend some time sorting through what you find challenging, and then find a spot that will allow you the time to continue to properly handle the home-side of things, and yet give you a very good reason to get up every morning.

Take your time. Try things out. Make it work.

If you don't have a job that you enjoy, every day just gets longer and longer.
    Dont you worry richg99, im reading all post. lol

In theory, im looking for something like you just posted. I want a challenge, a reason to wake up, and something i can feel proud of. My wife has always said, deep down i enjoy what i do working offshore (even though i complain a lot). She also says, when i explain to people what i actually do offshore, my eyes light up and my body language changes as i describe my occupation. Unfortunately, my daughter is 6 years old and i have already missed 3 years of her life working this schedule. I have made a lot of money in this career and its one of the best decisions i have ever made (especially in my youth) and i have no regrets. We just both want me to be home more for the family.

Realistically, i want a career but also be flexible. I would love to be able to tell people that im retired at the age of 34, but thats not realistic is it?

6. Member
    " my eyes light up and my body language changes as i describe my occupation."

Guess you found what you like to do. Now, figure out how to do it on your terms.

richg99

7. Member
    Land surveyor?

8. Member
    Same sorta happened to me. Wife got big promotion double pay etc. Year later company moved her group to Kansas City. Glad I stayed with my Job.

9. Scraps
    Some kind of sales in the industry where you work. Manufacturer's rep sort of thing. I always thought it would be cool to have a job with a power tool mfr like DeWalt and get the cool truck to drive.

Or, could you teach something in your old industry? Tech school, etc.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Banned
    Take a course in welding and find a smaller shop to work for.

11. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TBagn View Post
    Dont you worry richg99, im reading all post. lol

In theory, im looking for something like you just posted. I want a challenge, a reason to wake up, and something i can feel proud of. My wife has always said, deep down i enjoy what i do working offshore (even though i complain a lot). She also says, when i explain to people what i actually do offshore, my eyes light up and my body language changes as i describe my occupation. Unfortunately, my daughter is 6 years old and i have already missed 3 years of her life working this schedule. I have made a lot of money in this career and its one of the best decisions i have ever made (especially in my youth) and i have no regrets. We just both want me to be home more for the family.

Realistically, i want a career but also be flexible. I would love to be able to tell people that im retired at the age of 34, but thats not realistic is it?

You have a six year old daughter, what more of a reason do you need to wake up and feel proud of. You have a wonderful wife, take care of her. You want a challenge? Catch bigger fish. Kill bigger deer. Raise your child the way 99% of people wish they could. No need to rush and find something else to do. For many years families did pretty well with a stay at home parent and one collecting a paycheck.
    Thanos was the hero

12. Member
    Uber driver? My FedEx guy said he does it part time and made 40 grand at it last year.
    Ranger 520vx Yamaha 225 ox66.

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    If her income is sufficient for y’all I’d take the daughter to school everyday, fish until time to pick her up. My wife took a new job this year and now makes around 20% more than me. She asked me if it upset me or made me mad she made more. I said hell no I wish you made 4 times what I make. Then I would quit work, run the kids around and fish every day. And let us know if you might become single and she’s available. Just kidding.
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 11-09-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

14. Member
    Telecommunications Site acquisition and surveying field work. The industry is taking off as carriers everywhere are getting ready for a big push for 5G.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    You have a six year old daughter, what more of a reason do you need to wake up and feel proud of. You have a wonderful wife, take care of her. You want a challenge? Catch bigger fish. Kill bigger deer. Raise your child the way 99% of people wish they could. No need to rush and find something else to do. For many years families did pretty well with a stay at home parent and one collecting a paycheck.
    Best advice yet.
    Ranger 520vx Yamaha 225 ox66.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    My sister in law started a lawn care company in Galveston and did quite well.
    I think this is what I would do.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    If her income is sufficient for y’all I’d take the daughter to school everyday, fish until time to pick her up. My wife took a new job this year and now makes around 20% more than me. She asked me if it upset me or made me mad she made more. I said hell no I wish you made 4 times what I make. Then I would quit work, run the kids around and fish every day. And let us know if you might become single and she’s available. Just kidding.
    LOL...Pretty good right there

18. Member
    Since you mentioned real estate...my oldest step son followed his wife on a move leaving behind a retail mgmt career...had always been interested in real estate and ended up with a nice career change working for Redfin...gotta think the Texas "gold rush of Californians, lol" would be booming

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

19. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Seriously I’d look at becoming a realtor or go in lawn business. It would keep you busy but still give time to run the kids around and have fun. All the realtors I know around here don’t do jack and make a really good living. They spend maybe 4 hours a week showing houses and going to closings to get they’re check. My last house I sold I had some people ask me about building for them. They liked my house and I said it will be for sale before long. I agreed on price and all with them. Then they said they had a realtor they wanted to use. I said well your paying for her. She’s never even seen my house. The realtor that had never seen my house got $10,000 cause the buyers felt comfortable with it going thru this realtor they knew. Woman showed up for the home inspection and the closing. Nothing against them but they probably make the most money for least amount of work.
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 11-09-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Flip houses. Pick some easier, what I call paint and paper houses, not major mechanical jobs. Work when daughter is at school and be home when she is. Easily do two a year for $15-20k each per year.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast