Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I was in the trades and enjoyed the money but hated the competition and distanced myself in breaks etc with fellow workers who I had nothing in common. I retired because of health and wear and tear on my body and mind(nothing is really fair). I thought about companies that I worked with that had good guys(respectful/professional) and observed there are many companies that are related of your skill. You have the knowledge to work in a supporting job for your industry and if you SELL yourself you can pick days and hours if you project your responsibilites outside the work place. Just make sure you emphasize the benefits you would get to work for the new company. Close to home, see family more and enjoy working with people not on a Island that felt like prison. I have had friends and college age guys get jobs thru job brokers( name>?) that neighborhood friends recommended them to the broker and they get summer job or temp job that last forever. Pick the next place you want to work and F entry postions, I need a job with responsibilty and a challenge.

Tbagn watching your daughter grow up is very good, as it only happens once, it's worth making less money for that. Try UBER or LYFT or ever think of being a waiter? What ever you do best of luck.

3. Member
    Run a cemetery. Residents don’t b*tch much.

4. Member
    Handy man for sure, I have a paint crew but spend a lot of my time running from customer to customer replacing light bulbs, hang new light fixtures, hanging pictures, new door locks, whatever's needed. Most customers are either too old to do it their selves, or too busy at their jobs to do it. Easier to pay someone.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Run a cemetery. Residents don’t b*tch much.
    But when they do, they raise hell!
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBagn View Post
    Bamaman, I think your spot on with this assessment. My brother was married for ten years, has his own company, paid for his wife to go to school twice to become an RN, and then she just up a left after meeting a Doctor after 2 years. Had a House on 7 acres, no kids, what seemed to be a perfect marriage, and had 3 years left payments on the house. After 10 years of marriage, all he worked for, he now owned half of, except for the 2 degrees shes got due to his support throughout their marriage.

Im more interested in a career that is more "work your own hours" kind of deal (thats why im thinking Real estate). I learned a good life lesson on his behalf, unfortunately, and i will not be caught with my pants down. I personally dont think we have anything to worry about, but i do have an escape plan if needed, which that should be started on another thread. lol
    I was hesitant to mention this but since it's been brought up.....you are wise to have your own safety net in place for exactly the reasons you and Bamaman pointed out. Believe it or not, some women have been known to change their minds after a few years. She may blame it on the increased stress of the job, the stress of the responsibility for being the breadwinner, or she may decide she's missing out and wants to spend more time with her daughter. Whatever the reason, you may be "asked" to switch roles at some point and it doesn't sound like you can support your lifestyle selling knickknacks on Ebay.

I would look for something fairly recession-proof if you can. Health care has been pretty stable through the years. IT has been good. Actually, project management might be an option. Some PM's work less than 40 and set their own hours. Real estate is decidedly NOT recession-proof nor is it as flexible as you might think. As someone else mentioned, clients will want to see homes in the evenings and on weekends. They'll also want to review and discuss houses in the evening since many of the better (qualified) buyers work during the day.

7. Member
    Don't do this. I've done about all you can do in residential real estate, including this. I don't see way it wouldn't be a lot of stress in your situation. Working on the house slowly will lead to a lot of holding cost plus money going out while you fix it up. If you do 2-3 a year that means you will be paying bills @ 10 months a year, to get paid 2-3 times.

Real estate sales might be an option for you. However, you would likely need a good network to start with or put in a good bit of work up front to get your business going. People don't just randomly start calling you the day you get your license. You have to get your name out there and your business built up. Plus people are sometimes more hesitant to use a new agent that they don't have a personal relationship with.

Lawn care and uber/lyft would probably be the easiest to get up and going in your situation from what I've read. Although I think the Uber drivers make the most money when people are off work as well. The ones I've talk to usually work from like 6pm-2am, with weekends being the best days. Home inspector was a good suggestion too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    Flip houses. Pick some easier, what I call paint and paper houses, not major mechanical jobs. Work when daughter is at school and be home when she is. Easily do two a year for $15-20k each per year.

8. Member
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    But when they do, they raise hell!

9. Member
    You have to make that call. But, congratulations! Hope everything works out well for you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by snodogg View Post
    Drive for Uber
    in a big city like Houston you can make good money doing this.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Does she have a sister?

Quote Originally Posted by TBagn View Post
    Im going to start this off with saying, "Im a very very fortunate man". I married a wonderful woman that, well, lets just say, she married a man well under her league .

With that said, she will most likely be accepting an offer for a job that will more than double her Yearly Salary. The reason she is doing this, is to relieve me from my current job working offshore on a 5 week by 5 week rotation that leaves me away from home 50% of the year. When i am at home, i usually take care of all the tasks that revolves around our 6 year old daughter. When im away, the mother in law takes over these responsibility.

(On a side note, her new Yearly Salary will be the same as our House Hold Income while im employed)

My question to the BBCers are what would you do in this situation for a "New" career choice? I need something that would allow me to be very flexible in my schedule. I thought about going the whole real estate route but im just not fore sure. I live Houston TX and i have alot of options and i dont have a collage education.

Also, first time poster here but a long long time reader

Thanks in advance BBC'ers
    Congratulations to you and your wife, I hope everything works out. I think if I were in your shoes I would take advantage of this situation to start a home based business... but that's just me. You have to figure out what is going to be best for you and make it happen!

My Nephew is in a similar situation, he put his wife through medical school and she ended up as a practicing Pediatrician with her name on the door. Of course he worked 12-14 hour days 6-7 days a week and also raised 2 kids, he was almost like a single Dad most of the time because she was away at school etc. Now, she makes high 6 figures as a doctor so they no longer have a need for his income. As an Electrician, he is able to work whenever he wants out of the union hall so he pretty much just takes care of the home and keeps busy with his kids and hobbies most of the time, then when he runs out of things to do he goes back to work for a few weeks here and there.

13. Member
    Try and get a job with the same school district your daughter is in that way you're on the same schedule as her for days and holidays.

14. Member
    Real estate requires a lot of time, but somewhat make your schedule up to when your clients can go. Flipping hoses is a riskey deal. My wife and i have done a few. If you do the real estate thing find another sucessful agent and let them mentor you. This usually come with a cost of maybe 10-25 percent. Look af it as a investment, if they keep you out of a legal situation it will be worth it, best of luck to you. I work a 6 figure job, so does my wife as a real estate agent and we buy and sell houses. Money is never enough. Find something you are content with

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456