Want to upgrade from 24v to 36v but...

No room.

18' Aluminum rig. current setup has two battery compartments up front for the current 24v system. No room to add a battery (not interested into cutting open anything.) Are there 36v batteries that are = to a 27 series battery dimensions that I could run in tandem? Or does anyone have any ideas how to go about doing this? I currently have an 80# Fortrex. looking at 112 Ultrex.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Lithiums are the only options in 24 and 36V batteries.

An option for tight spaces is to use AGMs that allow out of position mounting. They can be stood on end or stacked sideways to fit in available space. Check with a manufacturer to be sure the battery you choose can be mounted in those positions.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    You can connect your 2 forward batteries in series with the starting battery to get 36 volts. It is not a good idea, however, because you run the risk of discharging your starting battery while trolling and could be stuck without an engine. If you want to explore this option, using the largest deep cycle starting battery you can fit in the space would help so it still has starting power when the trolling batteries run down. Also need to make sure the deep cycle battery has sufficient cranking amps for your motor.

Is there another place to put the third battery? The 3 batteries do not have to be next to each other. It is not the best option but will work.

Also, my 3 50aH Relion combined are just slightly larger than a single grp31 battery. That would be my preferred option if you have the funds.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I went from 12 volt to 24 volt. the problem was that there was not room for a 2nd battery up front in my Lund. So, John Jones and I talked a couple times and he helped me with the solution. I put the 2nd TM battery in the back next to my cranking battery. Then, I ran a jumper the length of the boat to connect the two batteries together to make the 24 volts. Works great. I'd bet that you can do the same thing on your rig to go from 24 to 36 volts.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments