Safety cable non retracting

I’ve had this issue since I purchased the boat/trailer and now it’s starting to bother me. Driver side cable does not retract, it’s pretty permenant. I’ve tried spraying white lithium grease but does not budge. Is there a fix or replacement part for this? It’s a trailstar/tracker trailer. The cable has no play so might be due to rust possibly?

Last edited by Procharged392; 11-08-2018 at 01:43 AM.

2. mikesxpress
    Never seen a retractable safety cable system like that? Just due to the nature of it being inundated with water I can't see it lasting very long. I would remove it and go to a trailer mounted fixed cable.

3. Member
    Don't want to sound like a smart-ass but maybe the retract mechanism is broken or rusted. On the other hand maybe the cable is frayed and stuck. I have coiled cables on my trailer they spring back but themselves BUT one snapped off last week due to corrosion inside a terminal end.
    What's that rusty thing right behind the entry hole? I would try to twist the cable in a tightening direction and/or smack that tube with a hammer a couple of times.

Most likely rust on cheap corrosive metal (spring and inside of pipe)
    Some trailers makers tried those.. Worked good when new but soon had problems. If it was mine I would cut those off and put chains on.

I have a similar looking setup. I know its attached to a coil spring. I'm thinking the spring is broken but I have no experience with ever repairing one of them.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Mine was trouble free for 10 years and still worked fine when i removed it this year. I kept it lubricated with a teflon lubricant and never pulled them out all the way. My guess is the spring broke or bound up at the end. I went to chains on mine due to the cables not working well with my dad and my new trucks.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.