17 Ft G3 HP170, trying to install an Ultrex 45 in shaft

Hi there.

I have a 01 G3 HP170 and I am trying to install my new 45 in shaft ultrex. When I put the mount over the existing holes the head of the trolling motor really hangs off the side. Also the support arm doesn't seem to line up to the deck or the rail. Just looking for some pointers. Do I want to change the angle of the trolling motor? I know this is larger than my Maxxum and motor guide. Thank you

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    When you say the head hangs off the side too much..excuse my ignorance but how do you know? Until you put your boat in the water and adjust how far you have to adjust the shaft to be the correct depth in the water, how can you tell how far it will sit?

Is this motor the same shaft shaft length as the one you’re replacing?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I put a 45" on a Tracker that replaced a Motor Guide Tour. Yes the top of the motor extends past the gunnel when stowed. The Motor Guide was not as close to the gunnel as you have it. I still could use the brace on the side you have and it is on the carpet. I may change the angle-to-bow relationship sometime so the head is not so far outboard of the gunnel when stowed. I have to really pay attention when on the port side when in my garage. It's a dock magnet also.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    I just put an ultrex on replacing a motorguide. All boats and installs are different......some a little and some a lot.
    Don't take this wrong way but just install way it best fits your boat.
    Go slow and consider all the + and - best you can.
    You will love it!

5. Member
    I'd be tempted to change the angle so the head isn't outside the boat when stowed, if not it's bound to have an unpleasant meeting with a dock at some point.

6. Member
    Can't tell from the pic, but looks like the crutch would go on the outside and catch the top.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    I ran into the same issue with my Ranger and ended up drilling new holes/patching the old holes.. Place it at different angles and determine what will work best. It is not ideal to have the head hanging off the gunnel. The downside to having it not hanging over the gunnel would be that it will cover some of your deck space/rod storage when stowed. IMO it is better to have it inside the gunnel if possible.

If you slide the shaft all the way down the collar the head won't stick out as far.

8. Member
    Ok well I ran into a problem. the bow of my boat is completely not level at all. The ultrex can only lock down if I pull on the side and let in fall down into place. What can I shim this with? It has a slight twist starting from the last two bolt holes to the first two. Thanks for any help. If I can figure this out by Thursday its going to a minn kota service center to get installed.

9. Member
    Use 1/4" washers between the mount and the cap of the boat. When the mount is level, without the trolling motor on it, when you place the arm in the deployed position it will center between the motor rest. If it's off center, the shim will probably go on the side that has the widest space.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Just to update the thread. I went to my local lowes and purchased multiple stacks on larger rubber washers. I had to grind some of the washers down but it deploys smooth now.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Glad you got it installed and working right!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV