tach wont work 86 159 rude 150

serialJ0578914 model E150STLCOH just picked this boat engine combo up... any test I can do on the tach motor,,, cant see any loose wiring motor or gauge.. Thx Doug

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doug vaughn View Post
    serialJ0578914 model E150STLCOH just picked this boat engine combo up... any test I can do on the tach motor,,, cant see any loose wiring motor or gauge.. Thx Doug
    Your motor is a 1985. Do you have an OEM repair and service manual? Great investment when diagnosing issues or for general motor knowledge..The above sticky's have a link you can get one..

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    When my tach wasn’t working my voltage regulator had went out. Might want to test that.

4. Member
    thx guys

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Insure all connections are are good(especially to battery and motor). Make sure battery is good and no wing nuts(regular nuts and lock washers). Dont guess,,,those parts are $$$$$. Start by using your manual to check stator/regulator/charging system. Do you know if system is charging(check at battery with multi meter above idle). Dont rev high rpms on the muffs.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Try giving the pole select switch a few turns side to side and then set it back to 6. Sometimes the fingers get corrosion built up and giving the switch a few twists can dislodge the debris.

7. Member
    related question - is there a simple method to test a tach to make sure it is working before going through a lot of troubleshooting at the motor end? Mine has never worked since I bought the boat - but neither did half the gauges. When I turn my key on, I see the needle dip a little, like it is zeroing or similar, but engine running, I don't get anything. I'd hate to run through all of the service manual motor-side tests just to find out the tach is dead.

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    related question - is there a simple method to test a tach to make sure it is working before going through a lot of troubleshooting at the motor end? Mine has never worked since I bought the boat - but neither did half the gauges. When I turn my key on, I see the needle dip a little, like it is zeroing or similar, but engine running, I don't get anything. I'd hate to run through all of the service manual motor-side tests just to find out the tach is dead.
    Find a known good tach and try I guess....If it still doesnt work then use the OEM manual tests. Have you checked connections or done what Fred recommended yet?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doug vaughn View Post
    Doug, you will need a peak reading volt meter or a DVA (adapter) for your meter. First, on the wiring strip on the motor, you will see the gray wires connected, with the motor running test this connection for AC volts you should have around 10 Volts. If that's OK test the tach. Two things to test on the back of the tach, on the red, or purple wire positive post you should have 12 volts DC with the key on. On the gray wire post you should have around 9.5 volts AC with the motor running. If you still are using the VRO and have less or no volts on the gray wire, with the motor running temporally unplug the connector from the VRO and see if the tack starts working. Of course there is always the possibility of a wiring problem.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 11-09-2018 at 02:11 PM.