Banned

150 Pro Xs Winter Storage

Serial# 1B962471

Hey guys, I am planing on winterizing my opti instead of taking it in. Few reason, main reason was the small merc shop I had been using just took my money and never did a proper storage so...

i never stored these motors before so just looking on proper way to fog it. Should I run the motor and spray fog into throttle body till it stalls out or just pull plugs and spray into cylinders? Of course I'm replacing lower gear oil and while I have plugs out I'm going to replace with fresh ones for next season.

thx all

2. Member
    From the FAQ at the top of forum:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=21874
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    see link for sure!

sadly I just heard of the same story from a MASSIVE merc boat dealer / shop here. buddy went in and asked one of the guys what they do to winterize the motor other then lower unit stuff. he got a response saying that the motor doesn't need to be oiled or anything and to just do the bottom end flush / grease. I can't imagine how many people are getting hosed by this place thinking their doing "full" winter services on motors (this was a reply specifically for optimax motors)

Don't bother changing your plugs until the season start.... i'd probably run the motor on the old plugs for a good warm up cycle on muffs just so i dont potentially foul out the new ones from the oil that you sprayed inside for storage.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

4. Member
    You do not fog your motor.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    All you need do is follow the recommendations in the FAQ topic. Never use fogging oil in an Optimax! I use a large plastic graduated medicine dropper to measure the correct amount of Premium Plus to squirt in the cylinders and a small glass eye dropper for the 8 - 12 drops in the compressor inlet. Raising the engine as high as practical helps get the oil in the cylinders, then drop back to vertical for the compressor.

I prefer to spin the engine by hand with ignition disabled to distribute oil in cylinders before reinstalling plugs. I also remove the serpentine belt and rotate compressor by hand to distribute oil. Just how I do it.

If you're using Quickleen in every tank (should be) skip the recommendation to add Quickleen to the filter housing which really isn't possible with a 2.5L anyway since they use a spin on fuel filter. The best way, IMO, is to ensure correct amount of Quickleen and Quickstor in the fuel tank before the end of the season so it gets through entire system. Next best is to add to tank then run the engine on the hose or tank long enough to get through entire fuel system.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    All you need do is follow the recommendations in the FAQ topic. Never use fogging oil in an Optimax! I use a large plastic graduated medicine dropper to measure the correct amount of Premium Plus to squirt in the cylinders and a small glass eye dropper for the 8 - 12 drops in the compressor inlet. Raising the engine as high as practical helps get the oil in the cylinders, then drop back to vertical for the compressor.

I prefer to spin the engine by hand with ignition disabled to distribute oil in cylinders before reinstalling plugs. I also remove the serpentine belt and rotate compressor by hand to distribute oil. Just how I do it.

If you're using Quickleen in every tank (should be) skip the recommendation to add Quickleen to the filter housing which really isn't possible with a 2.5L anyway since they use a spin on fuel filter. The best way, IMO, is to ensure correct amount of Quickleen and Quickstor in the fuel tank before the end of the season so it gets through entire system. Next best is to add to tank then run the engine on the hose or tank long enough to get through entire fuel system.
    I run fuel treatment/stabilizer all season. So I picked up the Mercury store sealer (fog spray). Why won't this work in cylinders? I use opti dfi oil I'm guessing this is ok to drop in cylinders?

7. Member
    Don will have to confirm, but if I remember correctly, it can (or will) clog the air injectors. All I know for certain is Don has said many times to NOT fog an Optimax. Follow the recommended procedure in the FAQ and add Premium Plus, not DFI, to each cylinder and the compressor. Return the spray fogging oil for a refund.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    I run fuel treatment/stabilizer all season. So I picked up the Mercury store sealer (fog spray). Why won't this work in cylinders? I use opti dfi oil I'm guessing this is ok to drop in cylinders?
    DO NOT use this product in an Optimax Engine, as it can damage Direct/Air Injectors (causing them to stick/hang).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    DO NOT use this product in an Optimax Engine, as it can damage Direct/Air Injectors (causing them to stick/hang).
    Can I use the opti dfi oil in the spark plug hole? I’m guessing that’s what the computer does squirts the oil in the cylinders no??

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Can I use the opti dfi oil in the spark plug hole? I’m guessing that’s what the computer does squirts the oil in the cylinders no??
    No. Oil is never injected into the combustion chamber on an optimax engine. The reason for adding a small amount of dfi oil in each cylinder is to coat the cylinder walls with a light film of oil to keep them from possibly rusting when. The engine sits.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    Don advises Premium Plus in the cylinders because DFI doesn't mix with fuel. Know you're north of the border, but $30 will buy a gallon of PP almost everywhere here. I use it in the recommended ratio to protect injectors every time I refuel so always have it on hand. At the proper ratio (4.2ozs per 5gals fuel), a gallon of PP will treat 152gals fuel. You only need 6 teaspoons for winterizing.

See this FAQ topic, relevant portion quoted below - Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

In addition to the above, it is acceptable to add 150:1 mix of Premium PLUS in the fuel tank (for OPTIMAX engine models). This has been proven to benefit fuel system components by providing additional lubrication ONLY to the fuel system components (especially the direct injectors- which are often left DRY after engine shutdown).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Don advises Premium Plus in the cylinders because DFI doesn't mix with fuel. Know you're north of the border, but $30 will buy a gallon of PP almost everywhere here. I use it in the recommended ratio to protect injectors every time I refuel so always have it on hand. At the proper ratio (4.2ozs per 5gals fuel), a gallon of PP will treat 152gals fuel. You only need 6 teaspoons for winterizing.

See this FAQ topic, relevant portion quoted below - Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations
    Ya I had a 5L jug I use as a back up in case I ran out on water.

I follow Don's instructions every year and it's worked out well!