Question 2011 Mercury 60 hp 4 Stroke starter help!!

Guys, I have a 2011 60 hp 4S. Serial #(1C134653). I am looking for a replacement starter bendix kit, but I’m having problems with finding the correct part # on mercury website. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Motor problems are As follows. Starter motor will spin but the bendix drive will not climb up the shaft to engage flywheel. Took bendix off and splines look ok.

2. Member
    I just got off the phone with my nearest mercury dealership and he told me that I cannot just buy a bendix drive for this starter. He wanted to sell me a new complete starter for $350. That doesn’t make any since to me whatsoever. He said these new motors are basically a replace the whole part instead of what is broken or bad. Any truth to this?

3. Banned
    Do you have a local electrical shop that rebuilds starters and alternators?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post
    Do you have a local electrical shop that rebuilds starters and alternators?
    ^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Drive gear is not offered separately. Part# 893888T Starter is sold as a complete assembly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks guys.

7. Member
    Have had good luck with these in the past...

https://www.powerparts360.com/starte...placement-list

Rick

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just keep in mind that (especially true of electrical components), aftermarket units are often cheaper for a good reason.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Guys, I have a 2011 60 hp 4S. Serial #(1C134653). I am looking for a replacement starter bendix kit, but I’m having problems with finding the correct part # on mercury website. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Motor problems are As follows. Starter motor will spin but the bendix drive will not climb up the shaft to engage flywheel. Took bendix off and splines look ok.
    I believe that starter drive is engaged by inertia force. Which means if the starter torque is low for any reason it may not engage the drive. Be sure the battery is up to spec and fully charged as well as no voltage drops in the cables or connections.
    Also be sure the splines are dry and clean, two stroke oil or grease on the splines can slow down engagement
    Spiral splines and no solonoid on the starter usually means it is engaged by inertia force
    PS This is not likely to be a drive issue, more likely to be a starter or low voltage
    Last edited by lpugh; 11-15-2018 at 04:47 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh