Verado PS kills battery while trolling with 9.9

The boat belongs to a friend. What’s the best battery & switch configuration to prevent killing cranking battery. 2012 2075 Lund, 225 Verado, 9.9 Merc kicker. After trolling for extended periods the cranking battery won’t start Verado. I’ve researched some, sounds like Verado power steering is the problem. I’m not sure what needs to be done to stop getting stranded. I know he just bought 2 new group 31 AGM Deka batteries. Where does he go from there? Drawings, schematics or pictures are very helpful🍻

2. Banned
    There’s a Verado/kicker battery isolator/cable kit available from Mercury to prevent that situation. Tell your buddy to get his dealer to look it up in their Accessories Guide.

Thanks

4. Member
    There are a lot of variables to your question. Davidwademarine offers a good suggestion for starters. Be aware that the kicker puts out 6 amps and the Verado power steering pump uses 20 amps when running. Eventually you’re going to run out of juice. I’ll ask a few questions that pertain to your current set up. Is the kicker tied to the big motor, do you steer with the Verado? Are you running the two batteries in parallel or separately off of a battery switch? What other electronics are you running off the batteries, two, three finders, livewell pumps, radio?
    There are some proven set ups for the problem your having.

Great questions. Yes he steers with Verado. I don’t think he has a switch. I’m going to be visiting this weekend and will get more answers. I’m beginning to suspect that things got messed up when he had his batteries replaced 2 years ago. Nothing but problems since. He recently purchased 2 group 31 AGM batteries. Thanks

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely worth checking into... the isolator option offered in Post#2 is an appropriate solution.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Whats the newest part number for the power steering isolator kit? Any idea or instructions on how to wire this kit into place? Thanks

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter08 View Post
    Whats the newest part number for the power steering isolator kit? Any idea or instructions on how to wire this kit into place? Thanks
    There are multiple kits, depending on engines and how they are rigged. Suggest opening a separate thread, and provide the information (required) for BOTH of your engines.

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    EuropeanAM, I have created another thread thank you. still no information yet.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Will get to it soon- still working 60+ hrs a week.