Thread: Cross/Caddo

Cross/Caddo

Howdy folks! I was wondering if there's anybody out there willing to help a fellow angler out on cross lake and caddo lake? I'll be out there in March and have never been to either lake before. I know they're both loaded with cypress trees, but are there some areas to concentrate on? How do you narrow down a place that virtually looks the same everywhere? Thanks fellas...I greatly appreciate any help you can provide!

2. Member
    Mike, I don't know if you will find anyone on here from that part of LA unless it's badazztriton (Aaron). Understand that Cross is not loaded with cypress trees the way that Caddo is. Cross is mostly open but does have some cypresses, grass, and docks. Other than that I don't think there is a whole lot of structure on the lake. My brother has fished Cross, but it has been a number of years since he has. Best thing I could tell you is, look up ultimatebass.com either on their website http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fis...php?board=46.0 or look them up on facebook. The guy who owns the site lives in the Shreveport area and has many members from that area as well. Just not that many from NW LA on this site. Hope it works out well for you my Friend!

3. Member
    Some of the other guys on here might have some advice for a place like Caddo where it all looks the same until you start breaking it down a little. South LA guys can chime in on this, but this is what I learned to do on the cypress lakes. Just like you would fish a point on a river or a reservoir, look for "points" on these lakes. When you come to a cypress thicket, they will have points on either end. Those would be the 1st places I would try on the thickets. However, there are times of the year (spawn) when the bass will be back in the thickets. Soft plastics, jigs, and spinnerbaits are what I would start with in the thickets. If not in the thickets, they might be on the isolated trees on the flats next to the thickets. As with many places you fish, the edges are the most likely isolated trees to hold fish in my experience. The next place might be a little tougher to find...every cypress lake I've fished on will have submerged sloughs. If you see what appears to be a couple of rows of cypresses, even if the trees are sporadically spaced, it very well could be a slough. If it is a slough, there will be a depth change. However, don't expect a deep trough. Many times these small sloughs might not be but 1 or 2 feet deeper than the surrounding areas. But these can hold a few fish or a lot of fish. Even though I have never fished Caddo, it is my plans to make it over there this Jan. or Feb. to try to catch one of its giants. I have a friend who married a girl from near there and fishes there a lot so we are planning on getting together and going.

There is one more thing to look for over on Caddo. Even though I haven't fished it, I watched MLF on there a few years ago. I saw KVD get on a pattern over there where a creek came out of the cypress "woods" and the wind was blowing out of the creek and he wore the fish out on the edge of the grass at the mouth of the creek. Even though you might not be at the mouth of a creek remember that the wind might be the only current you have, but it works the same as river current to tell you where the fish will be positioned. And when you are pitching the isolated trees on the flats (especially then), be aware of the sun and the fish should be on the shady side.

Bottom line is, you have to think a little different on the cypress lakes. But at the end of the day, bass are bass and they like a lot of the same things no matter where they are at. Again, hope you enjoy your stay down here.

4. Member
    Thank you so much fellas! You guys rock! Preacher, I'd be very interested I hearing how you do on Caddo when you go! Thanks again guys for the info! God Bless and tight lines!

5. Member
    I'll be glad to help you. Caddo can be unbelievable in March, but you never know from one year to the next how the grass is going to come up and what exactly is going to be going on. I'll shoot you a PM and if you give me a call shortly before you come I should be able to help you out.

6. Member
    Mike-I will try to remember to let you know. I'm getting old...and my memory is showing it.

Mr. Cella can definitely help you out. I've never met him but have heard of him, hopefully he won't tell you everything I told you don't pay any attention to...lol.

7. Member
    One thing about fishing a lot of Cypress trees...find the ones with deeper water on them and you will usually do better with larger bass. Storms creating big waves hitting those trees create wash outs around them. Pay attention to a 2-3 foot depth change around a group of them.

8. Member
    Awesome fishing