BBC SPONSOR

Carolina rig baits other than soft plastics?

Anyone ever Carolina rigged other baits beside soft plastics? Have much success?

2. Member
    Shallow & floating crank baits work well

3. Member
    Carolina rigging a jerkbait works pretty well for bass and walleye.. especially in cold water temps

The walleye guys around here do it (basically...same concept anyhow) with floating cranks or jerkbaits and call it "river rigging." I've never actually done it myself.

I have heard of people doing it with frogs in those frog only tourneys that are sponsored by Spro or whoever. Pretty smart when you've got restrictions like that, though it probably wouldn't be too much fun to get a hook into a fish that way.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    The walleye guys around here do it (basically...same concept anyhow) with floating cranks or jerkbaits and call it "river rigging." I've never actually done it myself.

I have heard of people doing it with frogs in those frog only tourneys that are sponsored by Spro or whoever. Pretty smart when you've got restrictions like that, though it probably wouldn't be too much fun to get a hook into a fish that way.
    I would say you are right about that. Be kind of tough. I was thinking maybe trying some type of top water bait on a C rig when the temps get cold. Just looking for ideas. Maybe find something that works when not much else will.
    Last edited by Buck456; 11-07-2018 at 09:55 PM.

A guide told me about using a jerk bait on a Carolina Rig. Never have done it, but sound interesting!

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mysuzytoo View Post
    A guide told me about using a jerk bait on a Carolina Rig. Never have done it, but sound interesting!
    That does sound interesting.

In cold weather, 1 oz. weight, about 3 ft. leader and #5 Shad Rap.

9. Member
    The way you do it for walleye isn't really a Crig. You take a 3 way swivel have a dropper to a weight (however long you want, we used to usually do a foot or so) and then a leader to a floating Rapala. Typically troll it. Same set up with a floating jighead or just a hook and a crawler, leech or minnow. Works great in rivers and you will catch just about everything.

That was why I said “basically” in my comments about walleye guys doing it. As I said, same concept anyhow!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

11. Member
    #11 original floating rapala behind a 1oz or 3/4oz has caught a few fish. Be sure to use a mono leader to give it freedom to float.

12. Member
    Somewhere around 1980 we tried it at Santee. We put a Brokeback Rebel Minnow on a C Rig.

It worked...caught fish. It also caught every stump on the bottom.