Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

mk ultrex with mega di

the new trolling motor with mega di also does 2d soar correct?/

Quote Originally Posted by scrimmy View Post
    the new trolling motor with mega di also does 2d soar correct?/
    Of course. It is tuned to the Dual Spectrum CHIRP frequency range of 140-240 kHz. It also does 455/800/1200 kHz Down Imaging and their CHIRP ranges.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I'm curious about this option and have some questions.

I currently have a Fortrex 36 Volt 112 Thrust.

Does this new DI work with Lowrance or only Hummingbird products?
    I think this may only be available with an Ultrex. I wonder if you can swap out the head and shaft of a Fortrex that currently has US2 on it for this Ultrex Head with DI?
    How much would a lower unit with shaft cost?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    I'm curious about this option and have some questions.

I currently have a Fortrex 36 Volt 112 Thrust.

Does this new DI work with Lowrance or only Hummingbird products?
    I think this may only be available with an Ultrex. I wonder if you can swap out the head and shaft of a Fortrex that currently has US2 on it for this Ultrex Head with DI?
    How much would a lower unit with shaft cost?
    The option is also available with the Fortrex, Ulterra, and Terrova. It is not backwards compatible due to some changes that was also made in other areas of the trolling motor. It does only work with the Humminbird products.
    Call me if I can help.
    John
    870 773 3474
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

The transducer is the same one that the Humminbird MEGA DI units have. Looks like the transom model.

The larger one in this picture:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Some additional measures were added to eliminate RFI since there are three frequencies for Imaging.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Everyone talks about growing the sport. A neat idea like this comes along that if you could have bought the head and shaft and swapped it out would have probably cost under $600. Instead you have to buy a whole new motor $2000 + then if you are a Lowrance Guy, junk your electronics and buy Hummingbird. It turns what could have been a $600 upgrade to $4000 to $5000 in expense. I know the industry doesn't give a hoot about fishermen who can't just lay down $85,000 on a new rig every other year. Us Bastages that keep boats 10 to 15 years until they are wore out, why care about us. The fishing industry doesn't need us at all. The States griping about declining license sales doesn't need us. The tackle companies griping about declining sales do not need us.

If the fishing industry is only going to cater to those with incomes above $300,000 per year, it's going to get a lot smaller.

Everyone talks about growing the sport. A neat idea like this comes along that if you could have bought the head and shaft and swapped it out would have probably cost under $600. Instead you have to buy a whole new motor $2000 + then if you are a Lowrance Guy, junk your electronics and buy Hummingbird. It turns what could have been a $600 upgrade to $4000 to $5000 in expense. I know the industry doesn't give a hoot about fishermen who can't just lay down $85,000 on a new rig every other year. Us Bastages that keep boats 10 to 15 years until they are wore out, why care about us. The fishing industry doesn't need us at all. The States griping about declining license sales doesn't need us. The tackle companies griping about declining sales do not need us.

If the fishing industry is only going to cater to those with incomes above $300,000 per year, it's going to get a lot smaller.
    The same company that owns Minnkota also owns Humminbird. They make stuff that works with their stuff. It's that simple.
    The same company also owns Lakemaster mapping.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The same company that owns Minnkota also owns Humminbird. They make stuff that works with their stuff. It's that simple.
    The same company also owns Lakemaster mapping.
    I understand that, but half the market for trollingmotors has Lowrance electronics.

10. Member
    I understand that, but half the market for trollingmotors has Lowrance electronics.
    Lowrance is a leader, as is Humminbird in electronics --- and Garmin and Raymarine are coming on strong. Question is "why" would a company that owns both Humminbird and MinnKota (together with several other companies under the Johnson Outdoors Umbrella) want to make something that is compatable to other units. The obvious answer is to increase sales in that market to those with other electronics. However, it may not be as simple as mating an adapter to the lowrance as it is to the Humminbird. Maybe...It's Lowrance that isn't playing well with others instead of Johnson Outdoors. I have used Humminbird 83/200 transducer on Lowrances with the appropriate adapter and vice versa, however, I know of no adapters to convert 455/800/1200 to another unit. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it would take someone aftermarket to do it.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

Minnkota motors with iPilot have two versions. Just iPilot and iPilot LINK. The LINK version only works with Humminbird units.
    No different than the new Minnkotas having versions with or without MEGA DI transducers.

You certainly would not purchase an iPilot LINK model if you have Lowrance units.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    I just bought a helix 10 DI G2N non mega and need a trolling motor this offseason. I was originally going to get the ultrex without the mega but wondering if the DI be usable in my case? I know it won't be mega and that's ok. It would be nice to get DI without having to add an external transducer.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter3 View Post
    I just bought a helix 10 DI G2N non mega and need a trolling motor this offseason. I was originally going to get the ultrex without the mega but wondering if the DI be usable in my case? I know it won't be mega and that's ok. It would be nice to get DI without having to add an external transducer.
    Not sure about that. The frequencies will be in the MDI transducer, but I don't know if some of the lesser frequences were compromised for the mega frequency. Wayne will probably be here to tell you for sure.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

I have not read any of the software updates for the DI G2N models. BUT there would have to be an update to those models to add the MEGA Imaging frequency and the Dual Spectrum CHIRP. I don't suspect that happened since there is already a MEGA DI G2N model.

You cannot add a frequency capability the unit doesn't have by changing a transducer. The unit provides the frequency.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Wayne, what I think he's asking is since the Mega Ultrex will have the 83/200/455/800/1200 frequencies, will his DI G2n read the 83/200/455/800 and nevermind the 1200 (mega) capability. I think the answer is probably a no, if for no other reason is that MinnKota has a different US2 adapter for the MDI transducer, but running by you first.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Wayne, what I think he's asking is since the Mega Ultrex will have the 83/200/455/800/1200 frequencies, will his DI G2n read the 83/200/455/800 and nevermind the 1200 (mega) capability. I think the answer is probably a no, if for no other reason is that MinnKota has a different US2 adapter for the MDI transducer, but running by you first.
    John
    This is exactly what I would like to know. Thanks for the interpretation John

This is exactly what I would like to know. Thanks for the interpretation John
    OK, I did not check the specs of the Minnkota DI transducer. YES you can use it with the non-MEGA DI units but would have to change the Connected Transducer setting to DI 83/200 kHz instead of its default setting of DI 200/455 kHz. That is the same thing one would do with a non-MEGA DI unit and wanted to use the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T trolling motor puck instead of the transom transducer.

PLUS since the 2D crystal is 83/200 kHz, any Humminbird unit with 83/200 kHz 2D can use it also just like the regular US2. Just because the transducer has a Down Imaging crystal, doesn't mean that part has to be connected inside the unit.

The Humminbird adapter cable has to be different than the MKR 8 since the DI transducer has the extra circuit for Down Imaging.

additional note: the transducer plug pins for a 2D transducer, a DI transducer, and a SI transducer are the same two in all of them for 2D sonar with an extra one of Temp.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 11-08-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    John
    HOLD ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just checked the menus in a G3N MEGA DI+ unit. It has a Connected Transducer setting Built-In HW+MDI. That would indicate the Minnkota DI transducer is NOT 83/200/455/800/1200 kHz and is the Dual Spectrum DI transducer I referred to in post #14.
    I don't know of any other situation where Built-In would apply.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 11-08-2018 at 05:20 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

One more thing the G3N MEGA SI+ units have the Built-In HW+MDI setting.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Then add to that, the MDI+ and MSI+ transducers are not backwards compatible to any G2N or earlier models.
    Sooooooooooo if the Minnkota DI transducer is the MDI+ as indicated in the unit settings, it will ONLY work with G3N models.

PLUS you would need a minimum of a G3 or G3N CHIRP (sonar) model to even use the 2D side of the built-in transducer.

Check the specs on the Humminbird website for all the new models. You will see Dual Spectrum for all of them.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast